Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMDGPU-PRO 16.50 vs. RadeonSI Git: Tomb Raider, Shadow of Mordor & More

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AMDGPU-PRO 16.50 vs. RadeonSI Git: Tomb Raider, Shadow of Mordor & More

    Phoronix: AMDGPU-PRO 16.50 vs. RadeonSI Git: Tomb Raider, Shadow of Mordor & More

    A few days ago I shared some fresh AMDGPU+RadeonSI benchmarks of Tomb Raider, Shadow of Mordor, and some other Linux games that need to be benchmarked manually due to shortcomings with these games. That earlier article with the open-source numbers was reserved for just Phoronix Premium supporters while available now to the public are those results compared to the new AMDGPU-PRO 16.50 Linux driver.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=23869

  • #2
    Those MESA drivers sure do love Tomb Raider, I wish AMD (or someone) would take those optimizations and apply them to all OpenGL games!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by theriddick View Post
      Those MESA drivers sure do love Tomb Raider, I wish AMD (or someone) would take those optimizations and apply them to all OpenGL games!
      Or do it the correct way and tell the game/engine developers to test the crap they build also on radeonsi

      Comment


      • #4
        To sum things up, depending on what you play you'll need one driver or another. Except that, if you're on an older kernel, you'd better hope your distro has an updated Mesa. And if you're on a newer kernel Pro driver is not actually an option. Love you, AMD.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by theriddick View Post
          Those MESA drivers sure do love Tomb Raider, I wish AMD (or someone) would take those optimizations and apply them to all OpenGL games!
          They sure love the benchmark, anyway. I completed the game about a month ago and on RX 480 the game was stuttered to all hell whenever action-y cutscenes were taking place, and sometimes the game fell below 30 fps (such as in the shanty town holdout). I hope the AMDGPU-PRO experience is better.

          Comment


          • #6
            I finished the game (tomb raider) a couple of weeks ago using an r9-290x water-cooled on highest settings except AA was 2x and normal SSAO. No dramas! There were times of stutter but they were very few and far in between. Shanty town was fine for me. Impressive really considering its an opensource driver! Never going back to propriety stuff! Was using Oibaff's ppa
            Last edited by DanglingPointer; 12-14-2016, 08:04 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              To sum things up, depending on what you play you'll need one driver or another. Except that, if you're on an older kernel, you'd better hope your distro has an updated Mesa. And if you're on a newer kernel Pro driver is not actually an option. Love you, AMD.
              So choice is bad? Basically noone "minds" what driver to use or at least wont change daily as long as things are working. There is nothing wrong in having different options to consider, each having its own advantages. Optimization in both solutions will make things even better then they are now.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Xicronic View Post

                They sure love the benchmark, anyway. I completed the game about a month ago and on RX 480 the game was stuttered to all hell whenever action-y cutscenes were taking place, and sometimes the game fell below 30 fps (such as in the shanty town holdout). I hope the AMDGPU-PRO experience is better.
                I also have an RX 480, but I really haven't had the problems you have had. The only stutters I get are when transitioning between scenes. Having the shader cache on disk someday will probably help.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Those MESA drivers sure do love Tomb Raider
                  What I find interesting is that Tomb Raider, while being 100% CPU bound on my machine, runs roughly twice as fast on Mesa (RX 480) compared to my old Nvidia card using their blob. Still, 20 FPS are far from ideal (Windows version pushes a constant 60), but better than 10. I'd even call this "somewhat playable" now.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

                    So choice is bad? Basically noone "minds" what driver to use or at least wont change daily as long as things are working. There is nothing wrong in having different options to consider, each having its own advantages. Optimization in both solutions will make things even better then they are now.
                    Having to switch daily from open to closed back to open drivers depending on what game I want to play is certainly a bad thing.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X