Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU-PRO 16.50 Rolls Out With GCN 1.0 Support, FreeSync

Phoronix: AMDGPU-PRO 16.50 Rolls Out With GCN 1.0 Support, FreeSync

The embargo has just expired on the Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition release, which had leaked out a few days ago elsewhere. While Crimson ReLive Edition is a big update for AMD Windows users, on the Linux side there's less to talk about but it's still a rather big release. I've been testing the AMDGPU-PRO 16.50 release the past two weeks and overall it's a sizable update for those using this hybrid AMD Linux driver.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm still baffled that the PPA at https://launchpad.net/~graphics-driv...ive/ubuntu/ppa for Ubuntu doesn't offer any of these AMD updates. It would be nice to have amdgpu-pro and not have everything be so Nvidia centric. I guess I will have to stick with Nvidia on Linux and see how the next generation of cards fare once devs support DirectX 12/Vulkan more.

Comment

Michael could you try running with the latest code from the drm-next-4.10-wip branch to see if the GCN 1.0 issues are kernel or userspace bugs

Comment

No download yet?

Comment

Does Intel have support for FreeSync?
          Does Linux have support for FreeSync?

Comment

AMDGPU-PRO 16.50 Rolls Out
            No it hasn't. It's not actually live yet.

Comment

At first I was excited to try but after I read page 1 and saw the benchmarks, I will not give it a try...

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Does Intel have support for FreeSync?
                Does Linux have support for FreeSync?
                Intel is allowed to use FreeSync but I don't think they ever bothered to support it (even on Windows). I could be wrong.

FreeSync, to my understanding, isn't limited by the OS but rather the GPU and it's drivers.

Comment

bridgman does 16.50 support DAL/DL on Kaveri perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    Intel is allowed to use FreeSync but I don't think they ever bothered to support it (even on Windows). I could be wrong.

FreeSync, to my understanding, isn't limited by the OS but rather the GPU and it's drivers.
                    They announced that they'll support Adaptive Sync (name of the VESA standard; FreeSync is just AMD's marketing name), but their hardware can't handle it yet.

@Michael: any info on when it is publicly released? Do you have a freesync monitor?

Comment

Working...
                    X