No announcement yet.

AMD "DAL" Being Renamed To "DC"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, i readed that does not work even on Playstation 4 PRO ... That TV is not full HDMI 2.0 bandwidth device, no so probably some quirk is needed somewhere to do 4:2:0 and i guess you use fift HDMI slot as only with that one 60Hz should work?

Comment

OK, just went through the NVidia bug ticket - looks like it might be an EDID problem with that specific display and NVidia added a quirk for it.

25 August 2016 update - Andy from Nvidia has come through with a workaround by limiting modes to supported ones via a manual specified EDID from another 4K display. Jump to page 2 of the post, give it a try and see if it works for you as well! ================== 19 August 2016 - after more than two months of silence on these forums for this issue (and most of the other reported issues it seems as well) I’ve decided to open my wallet to get a fix from someone, anyone. First person who gives me ...

Ownaginatious

I think this is a screw up on Vizio's part, because that particular TV doesn't actually support anything other than YUV420 at 4K 60Hz. Not sure why the other modes are there at all. I guess the Windows drivers are more robust and cover the weird corner cases like these.

If it would make it easier for you guys to have the TV to work/test with and you are located in the SF Bay Area, I can drop it off at one of your offices. I'm in no rush to get it back any time soon and would be glad to help out!

Thanks for the support!
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        Maybe the Linux driver isn't currently able to downgrade to 4:2:0 which that specific monitor requires ?

Anyways, can you look at the info dungeon posted and update the bug ticket mentioning 4:2:0 ? Harry mentioned in the ticket that the driver is successfully running 4K@60 over HDMI with other monitors today.
        Good point, just added that to the ticket now.

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
        Yeah, i readed that does not work even on Playstation 4 PRO ... That TV is not full HDMI 2.0 bandwidth device, no so probably some quirk is needed somewhere to do 4:2:0 and i guess you use fifth HDMI slot as only with that one 60Hz should work?
        Yup, already using the fifth HDMI slot. It definitely sounds like this particular TV is a strange outlier.

Comment

Originally posted by ownaginatious View Post
          Good point, just added that to the ticket now.
          Great, thanks. I added a bit of additional info as well.

EDIT - just looked at the logs in the ticket - your display EDID info says that it only supports 4K @ 30, so making it work at 60 is probably going to require either a fake/over-ride EDID or adding code specifically for that monitor into the driver.
          Last edited by bridgman; 02 December 2016, 06:38 PM.
          Test signature

Comment

As happy as I am that AMD is supporting open source... I'm kinda pissed off too. I bought an RX 480 given that it was being toted as having real open-source Linux support out of the gate, with the expectation that the proper HDMI 2.0 support would be just around the corner. Now it's sounding like support for any of that won't be ready until the card will be nearly 1.5 years old. Had I known that going in, I would have just gone with a 1060 GTX.

The over-hyping by the community may be more at fault for that than AMD is though.

At the end of the day, having hardware that actually works (even if performance is worse) matters more to me than if it's open or not...
            Seeing how little effort AMD puts into setting things straight (i.e. besides bridgman here, on Phoronix, none that I know of), they're probably happy with the hype. But like in your case, this hype is going to turn around and bite them, the more people buy it. And it's a shame, because AMD is actually doing nice things.

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            fixed.

Really guys, stop using this bullshit argument, if you care about gaming/3Dperformance of the stuff you buy NOW you should be using Windows for that, period (regardless of the card you have bought).

Installing Linux on a gaming rig and adding a NVIDIA card you manage to fail at Linux and also fail at gaming (more because games are ports and because there are few games than due to lack of performance in the driver itself).
            Fwiw, 3D is just icing on the cake for me. Back when desktops started becoming 3D, what I liked about Nvidia was the actually working power management. Knowing the video engine was usable offered some peace of mind. And the 3D performance on the same level as Windows, well, who can say no to that?
            But I do boot into Windows for my gaming needs. Maybe that will change when games will be developed for Linux first and then ported to Windows

Comment

Yup, already using the fifth HDMI slot. It definitely sounds like this particular TV is a strange outlier.
              It is not probably only that one, see PS4PRO in action with slighlty bigger brother Vizio - there also default does not work

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                What does C in DC stand for?
                DC stands for "Display Core"

Comment

Phew... I have to say, I'm starting to get confused. With the help of my room-mate, I've installed Arch Linux and it runs fine. I got the basics of updating and reading the most important tutorials and (with a little help) I also got some aur-packages running to be able to play some Windows games (DX9) on wine-gaming-nine. The games profit from every release of Mesa, LLVM etc and have fewer and fewer hiccups, errors and the FPS is increasing steadily. Good.

Now, the bad: I'm losing oversight on what I shall do and how. There are so many packages out there I could choose from and all of them have their own requirements. The only thing I want is a fully OS-package bundle that works when Star Citizen (for Linux) comes out - that would be my reason to switch to Linux completely. (May still take a year or so) Right now, I'm stuck on dual boot and would LOVE to get rid of Windows entirely. Make a happy panda out of a sad panda.

Comment

Working...
                  X