RadeonSI's Gallium3D Driver Performance Has Improved Massively In The Past Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by liam View Post

I would guess that they're looking at the windows opengl performance and/or Windows synthetic benchmarks?
    Windows OpenGL performance is the same as Linux OpenGL performance.

It's only Direct3D that is faster.

Comment

I know that I get between 30-50fps @4k normal with my Fury and a i7@860 (old I know) using the open source driver with mesa-git (2 days old) and llvm3.9 and freesync (only over 40 unfortunately) by compiling my own 4.7 amd-staging kernel with DAL enabled.

While due to the old CPU I don't expect much more from the driver optimizations that will come, I'm already impressed with the result and to be honest further optimization will only be a good incentive for me to upgrade to Kaby Lake or Zen next year. Really really happy

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Windows OpenGL performance is the same as Linux OpenGL performance.

It's only Direct3D that is faster.
        I don't know that it's always the case.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It really seems to be dependent on the game.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

No, Valve gives free copies of their own games only.
          Right, but it's a Feral port, hence the "Feral and Valve" (I guess it was useless to add Valve though).

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post
            I'll come back in a year or two to upgrade my GPU to an AMD one. No more an nvidia one with no doubt, as long nouveau is still as slow and their proprietary still as closed as they are (in the sense that true wayland support isn't coming out soon, lack of gallium nine, etc). I hope their vega GPUs gets as good as this generation is.
            It's kind of obvious that vega will be better than polaris. Will it catch 1080 is another thing though.

Comment

Originally posted by veritas View Post
              It's kind of obvious that vega will be better than polaris. Will it catch 1080 is another thing though.
              good in the price point/performance/competitive with nvidia level.

Comment

Originally posted by veritas View Post
                by the time it does, nvidia as well has new generation of cards out. 1080 Ti remains last of the Pascal generation.

Comment

Just popped my rx 480 into my rig yesterday. Really enjoying both the card and my decision. Keep it up, team red!

Comment

Working...
                  X