It Looks Like We'll Still See A GUI Control Panel For AMD Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
    Just curious, why this GUI is so important? In Windows I almost never mess with it and in Linux the video related stuff I adjust at the DE video settings (KDE). What you guys badly need the GUI for? Not trolling, just curious.
    Gaming people like to monitor and tweak their stuff (clock rates, temperature, power targets, fan profiles etc.). Guess that's what they hope for, so the features that AMD just added for Polaris launch (called WattMan). Also app-/game-based profiles can be used to force 3D settings for better image quality or performance - or power saving as well, if you like.
    Other display stuff should be in DE settings anyways, imho. They go this direction on Windows as well.

Comment

Originally posted by vein View Post
      I have the similar experience with Nvidia drivers. First of all, everybody was saying: "Nvidia is the best and the greatest on Linux", so I bought a laptop with a nvidia card a few years back. The result was unexpected black screens after updates and other problems. So after beeing fed up I tried an amd card... It was an HD5750
      You're comparing Intel/Nvidia hybrid "Optimus" to a discrete HD5750 card. It's not a good comparison ("apples and oranges"). You would probably experience similar frustrations with Intel/AMD hybrid on Linux.

Comment

Another useful thing is the per-app profile settings, like how its done in windows. It be nice if it could also detect the game for you but I guess you'd need some sort of steam detecting in the driver then.

I use NVIDIA atm but am looking at towards 490 once its out because I currently have two 980ti cards in SLI and that just FAILS under Linux, constantly stuck at 30hz. Plus I don't think dual card works too well with OpenGL yet.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

You're comparing Intel/Nvidia hybrid "Optimus" to a discrete HD5750 card. It's not a good comparison ("apples and oranges"). You would probably experience similar frustrations with Intel/AMD hybrid on Linux.
          The core2quad 6600 on that laptop didn't have an intel igpu...so I dont think optimus was running on it...

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
            Just curious, why this GUI is so important? In Windows I almost never mess with it and in Linux the video related stuff I adjust at the DE video settings (KDE). What you guys badly need the GUI for? Not trolling, just curious.
            GUIs are generaly needed so you can click/touch it Otherwise using console and editing files do same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
              I was really thinking about getting an AMD card this morning. Instead, I went with an Asus GTX 1060... because it was actually cheaper than any RX 480 I could find on Amazon (which I wanted to use since I had credit on there).

I just... don't really understand the appeal to AMD cards right now, especially with the GTX 1050 Ti being out. I get that it's open-source but the hardware value just isn't that competitive. It uses more power, it runs hotter, and it benchmarks like crap. I would hate to be the guy who had to sell that since it's always a downhill battle.

I constantly find myself saying I'll go AMD next generation. I still run an FX 8350 and will probably go Zen when it comes out since CPU usually isn't the bottleneck in my system but... the graphics just aren't there and as someone who actually looks at performance per dollar, it seems Nvidia is often better than AMD, despite AMD advertising as a budget line.

Anyways, the whole rant started because there were a few things I wanted to help development on an AMD card and I'm conflicted because I bought a GTX 1060 for performance and value reasons. I'll still look at Vega cards but... I have high doubt that they'll be below $600 because of the use of HBM2. It's kinda like how the Pro Duo costs $1300 which uses HBM but the GTX 1080 will still easily compete with that $1300 card.

Looking again, there's a Black Friday deal that makes it even cheaper https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KU2CIIY

If you factor into your decision that the AMD cards get 30% faster when their drivers mature while the Nvidia ones get slower... it goes something like this:
              - If you plan to upgrade next year: Nvidia is the better choice.
              - If you plan to hold on to your card for 2-3 or even more years, AMD is definitely the better choice

This, not factoring in the whole open source thing. For that reason alone i have na RX480, and i am pretty satisfied with it.

Comment

Basically those who can't edit some files wanna LXDE or LXQT GUIs, otherwise openbox is enough if you can

It is same story for those app profiles someone mentioned, xml again so drirc for opensource or how that is called on blob side amdfxx or something - so, edit those so that is it

Comment

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150773
                  Originally posted by computerquip View Post
                  I was really thinking about getting an AMD card this morning. Instead, I went with an Asus GTX 1060... because it was actually cheaper than any RX 480 I could find on Amazon (which I wanted to use since I had credit on there).

I just... don't really understand the appeal to AMD cards right now, especially with the GTX 1050 Ti being out. I get that it's open-source but the hardware value just isn't that competitive. It uses more power, it runs hotter, and it benchmarks like crap. I would hate to be the guy who had to sell that since it's always a downhill battle.

I constantly find myself saying I'll go AMD next generation. I still run an FX 8350 and will probably go Zen when it comes out since CPU usually isn't the bottleneck in my system but... the graphics just aren't there and 12as someone who actually looks at performance per dollar, it seems Nvidia is often better than AMD, despite AMD advertising as a budget line.

Anyways, the whole rant started because there were a few things I wanted to help development on an AMD card and I'm conflicted because I bought a GTX 1060 for performance and value reasons. I'll still look at Vega cards but... I have high doubt that they'll be below $600 because of the use of HBM2. It's kinda like how the Pro Duo costs $1300 which uses HBM but the GTX 1080 will still easily compete with that $1300 card.

Looking again, there's a Black Friday deal that makes it even cheaper https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KU2CIIY
                  This is what I picked up for my FX 8350 back 4 weeks ago when it went on sale for $275. It's now $249. XFX Radeon GTR RX 480 DirectX 12 RX-480P8DBA6 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support Black Edition Video Card

Buy XFX Radeon RX 480 4GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support Video Card RX-480M4BFA6 with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

I own a HP Zbook 15u with intel and amd solution. It has been plug and play since the day I installed ubuntu. (well almost, when enabling switching the first time it froze, but after that it was problemfree.) I use the radeonOSs driver for the radeon card.

Kind regards
                    Brut.

Comment

Originally posted by vein View Post
                      The core2quad 6600 on that laptop didn't have an intel igpu...so I dont think optimus was running on it...
                      Then you probably should have mentioned that... Either you bought the thing used or your conception of "a few years ago" is different than most folks'.

Comment

Working...
                      X