Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenCL Remains One Of AMDGPU-PRO's Main Advantages, Can't Wait For It To Be Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd really appreciate some haschat benchmarks

Comment

Originally posted by Bleep View Post
      I'd really appreciate some haschat benchmarks
      Last I checked, hashcat wasn't working right for my benchmarking requirements. I think the build process was weird or causing issues.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Pontostroy View Post
        For opencl-pro on default amdgpu and mesa you just need 5 files from pro driver(3 libs, 1 symlink and icd config file), but anyway i wait for TAHITI support for opencl-pro, llibdrm_amdgpu from pro does not know TAHITI, libamdolc* has TAHITI strings
        Too bad it doesn't work on my 270X (SI). :T

Comment

Originally posted by Pontostroy View Post
          For opencl-pro on default amdgpu and mesa you just need 5 files from pro driver(3 libs, 1 symlink and icd config file)
          Yeah, thanks for the hint. I just tried it out on Arch. It seems to work without problems.

Luxmark is really fast, the theoretical processing power in FLOPS is very close to the real results, in other words: R9 290X = GTX 1070! With the two tests mentioned in the article and got 7497/15903 points with Hawaii. The hotel scene seems even better with 2982 pts.

However, Blender Cycles is still slow. I need 1:40 minutes for the BMW test scene, on Windows it is done in 1:00. I'm looking forward to OpenCL on ROC and wonder, if we can get clear performance improvements...

Comment

juno I installed Windows 10 today and tried testing OpenCL there, it's broken for me. With current Blender (2.78a) the kernel build just fails, but this issue got resolved in blender git. But there it just renders the environment color, so the driver is bugged. It was like this with 16.6, then not with 16.7, then it's like this again with the latest drivers/fixes.

I have the same performance on Linux and Windows rendering with OpenCL. My 270X takes 2:10 minutes to render the BMW scene, and my CPU (FX 6300) takes 6:30 mins.

Comment

Amarildo interesting. I'll test mine under windows later today and look for issues and speed.

Comment

juno Just remember to NOT enable "progressive refine". That fixes the rendering bug (through the camera), but makes the render take 2 to 4 times as much

Comment

Amarildo ok, tested. Not broken but slower than it used to be. About exact the same speed as on Linux.

The exact driver package version I used is: 16.40.3111
                  OpenCL version, as seen in radeon settings: 21.19.160.769

Comment

juno Wait, you really tested on Windows?

Comment

bridgman Since CIK users can use OpenCL from amdgpu-pro, do you think it's possible for SI users to use Catlayst OpenCL with the free drivers?

Comment

Working...
                      X