RadeonSI Patches For Compiling Optimized Shader Variants Asynchronously

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gbil View Post

Trine 3 now loads after around 3 minutes instead of 5+ before due to shaders caching. There is of course space for improvement but this is a very welcome change.
    Minutes? Which shader caching? amdgpu-pro for example once cached load Trine 3 in about 1 second, OK maybe 2 seconds i didn't meassured that but it sort of instant load

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Minutes? Which shader caching? amdgpu-pro for example once cached load Trine 3 in about 1 second, OK maybe 2 seconds i didn't meassured that but it sort of instant load
      There's no shader caching for radeonsi yet, I believe.

Comment

Shader caching was the wrong term to use but it will be a little faster thanks to the optimisations. Still, it's proof that caching is definitely still needed.

Comment

With these patches as well as llvm-svn I get a massive performance regression. Like e.g. in Grid: Autosport in the menue already the FPS dropped from ~ 150 down to 25 ... :/

Comment

As Chewi wrote, shader caching still is the main issue just these patched helped the situation a bit and I'd love to use the -pro binary driver if only

1. it worked with kernel >4.7
            2. didn't get 3/5 fps on Tomb Raider compared to the open source one

Comment

For some reason my previous to ended with a lost post after hitting reply so here we go again

As Chewi wrote, shader caching was not the proper wording since this is still needed but these patches improved at least the situation.

While I'd like to use the -pro binary drivers I can't because:

1. they don't work for kernel >4.7
              2. they only give me 3/5 of the performance of the open source driver in Tomb Raider

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
                On what games?
                Total War: Warhammer

Comment

He meant shader compiling. 5 to 3 minutes means he got a 40% reduction in compile time.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

There's no shader caching for radeonsi yet, I believe.
                    Or any other Mesa driver. There are patches around hooking up Intel, but nothing that's been checked in and that patch series has some work to do before it's going to be accepted.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                      Or any other Mesa driver. There are patches around hooking up Intel, but nothing that's been checked in and that patch series has some work to do before it's going to be accepted.
                      Have any Radeon developers even expressed interest in it yet? Last I heard, Marek thought it wasn't needed, which is both surprising and frustrating.

Comment

Working...
                      X