No announcement yet.

AMD Planning To Enable GLAMOR By Default For R600 & Newer GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use the modesetting-driver on a Radeon HD6770M with Mesa 13 (ArchLinux) on GNOME. Xorg seems to run better with it. MPV is also not dropping frames like crazy when I watch a 60fps Video.

The only problem is, that the Blender Interface is flickering really bad. That does not happen with xf86-video-ati and also not with LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post
      Every time GLAMOR is discussed, I wonder if there is anything (any 2D operation, etc.) that simply can't be implemented efficiently with OpenGL. Also I wonder if it would be useful to have Gallium3D state tracker that would do 2D, so it could do a little more than the OpenGL state tracker can when it's needed (well it probably would not need to do everything that OpenGL can). Then again, Mesa could always expose a new OpenGL extension to use with GLAMOR to speed it up, so maybe these are not issues at all. I know fairly little about 3D or OpenGL programming. I don't know if either of these were addressed in XDC2016, so I may be asking something that has already been answered...
      What you discuss here has been done. It was called the X state tracker. https://www.x.org/wiki/GalliumStatus/ : see the column with deprecated in it. AFAIK Glamor has more manpower because of Intel and their refusal of the Gallium architecture.
      OpenVG is a completely different beast, no idea how useful it would have been for "normal" programs.

Comment

Originally posted by slacka View Post

Performance isn't the only issue with GLAMOR. In my testing with Sandy Bridge, GLAMOR also uses more power than the dedicated 2D hardware.
        Note that old 2D hardware cannot accelerate most of the core X or render API. "Newer" features like AA text and blending require a 3D engine.

Comment

Interesting, very interesting. Didn't know that the dedicated 2D HW was already phased out on my Evergreen chips. I'll give glamor a try on my older cards next driver stack release. From my experience with my Kabini chips glamor was okay for all the 2D things I did.
          Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post
            The only problem is, that the Blender Interface is flickering really bad. That does not happen with xf86-video-ati and also not with LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1.
            Have you tried setting "Window Draw Method" to "Triple Buffering" or even "Full"? This made the flickering go away in my case.

Comment

Originally posted by caEmber View Post
              Have you tried setting "Window Draw Method" to "Triple Buffering" or even "Full"? This made the flickering go away in my case.
              Thanks. Both options work

Comment

Does this mean that hardware-accelerated Flash video is now broken by default for R600 too?

Comment

Working...
                X