AMD Planning To Enable GLAMOR By Default For R600 & Newer GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eydee View Post
    R600 being touched? Impossible. What's next? Fedora 26 not being delayed at all?
    The r600 driver actually gets touched quite a bit:

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/me...m/drivers/r600
    Last edited by bridgman; 21 November 2016, 03:13 PM.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post
      Every time GLAMOR is discussed, I wonder if there is anything (any 2D operation, etc.) that simply can't be implemented efficiently with OpenGL. Also I wonder if it would be useful to have Gallium3D state tracker that would do 2D, so it could do a little more than the OpenGL state tracker can when it's needed (well it probably would not need to do everything that OpenGL can). Then again, Mesa could always expose a new OpenGL extension to use with GLAMOR to speed it up, so maybe these are not issues at all. I know fairly little about 3D or OpenGL programming. I don't know if either of these were addressed in XDC2016, so I may be asking something that has already been answered...
      There was an OpenVG (accelerated 2D) state tracker, but nobody used it or was interested in it so it got removed. It's still in git if you care

Comment

Every time GLAMOR is discussed, I wonder if there is anything (any 2D operation, etc.) that simply can't be implemented efficiently with OpenGL. Also I wonder if it would be useful to have Gallium3D state tracker that would do 2D, so it could do a little more than the OpenGL state tracker can when it's needed (well it probably would not need to do everything that OpenGL can). Then again, Mesa could always expose a new OpenGL extension to use with GLAMOR to speed it up, so maybe these are not issues at all. I know fairly little about 3D or OpenGL programming. I don't know if either of these were addressed in XDC2016, so I may be asking something that has already been answered...
        Glamor actually accelerates more X operations than EXA ever did. There's nothing that old 2D hw engines did that can't easily accelerated on on 3D engines. The main problem is that core X graphics operations and the X render extension were designed prior to wide GPU availability so a lot of operations do not translate well to GPU hardware in general. Fortunately, not many of those old X operations were ever used and relatively few of them are now. You can reduce the overhead slightly by natively translating between the X API and the hw rather than going through an intermediate interface (OpenGL in this case), but it's not really worth the effort in the vast majority of cases used by modern applications.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
          Glamor actually accelerates more X operations than EXA ever did. There's nothing that old 2D hw engines did that can't easily accelerated on on 3D engines. The main problem is that core X graphics operations and the X render extension were designed prior to wide GPU availability so a lot of operations do not translate well to GPU hardware in general. Fortunately, not many of those old X operations were ever used and relatively few of them are now. You can reduce the overhead slightly by natively translating between the X API and the hw rather than going through an intermediate interface (OpenGL in this case), but it's not really worth the effort in the vast majority of cases used by modern applications.
          Alright, thank you!

Originally posted by droste View Post
          There was an OpenVG (accelerated 2D) state tracker, but nobody used it or was interested in it so it got removed. It's still in git if you care
          Totally forgot that. I won't be resurrecting it though.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHerne View Post
            GPUs before Southern Islands had dedicated 2D hardware, which is used by the EXA backend. It's faster than using GLAMOR, and the only option on very old cards.
            Performance isn't the only issue with GLAMOR. In my testing with Sandy Bridge, GLAMOR also uses more power than the dedicated 2D hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by slacka View Post
              Performance isn't the only issue with GLAMOR. In my testing with Sandy Bridge, GLAMOR also uses more power than the dedicated 2D hardware.
              That's interesting. Could you make some benchmark and provide results?

I wonder if GLAMOR can be optimized to be more efficient and performant. Would it work at +120fps a very complex 2D 4K game engine using tons of tiles, sprites and whatever?

Comment

Every time GLAMOR is discussed, I wonder if there is anything (any 2D operation, etc.) that simply can't be implemented efficiently with OpenGL. Also I wonder if it would be useful to have Gallium3D state tracker that would do 2D, so it could do a little more than the OpenGL state tracker can when it's needed
                It probably would be wiser to start VLAMOR (Vulkan-GLAMOR) instead...
                Last edited by darkbasic; 21 November 2016, 07:20 PM.
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

It probably would be wiser to start VulkAMOR instead...
                  Honestly, XOrg looks like it's on its way out, so I think this may be a wasted effort.

Comment

Originally posted by slacka View Post
                    how is it relevant considering that amd has no dedicated 2d hardware ?

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

Honestly, XOrg looks like it's on its way out, so I think this may be a wasted effort.
                      Yes only this way will take forever, when will there be a Wayland emacs version 2020 with emacs version 27?

To the topic how is kodi affected from that or is it at all?

Comment

Working...
                      X