Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RadeonSI Benchmarks On Budgie, GNOME Shell, KDE Plasma 5, LXDE, MATE, Unity, Xfce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arjan_intel View Post
    XFWM4 has similar functionality, but the bug so far is that the heuristics to detect when something is fullscreen is not triggering for the cases we looked at (the various PTS gaming/graphics tests). For now we've disabled compositing but we're still poking at seeing if we can correct the heuristics
    Has this been addressed upstream? I'm assuming from the article that in Ubuntu-land xfwm4 compositing is enabled by default.

Comment

Xfce is more configurable than KDE
      Laughs uncontrollably at this sentence.

I myself can configure the Whisker menu freely and move panels freely with Xfce, not with KDE
      Fixed that for you.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
        you can configure the Whisker menu
        You can select between three different menus in KDE.

move panels freely with Xfce
        Do you want me to do a gif with me moving a panel bar all around the screen?
        Can you attach most of the desktop graphical components inside of the bar directly?

KDE,Unity, and Gnome3 users are like windows users 3 seconds more at boot, in use and shutdown does not matter. When using linux, you can tune it to max speed. I do not understand people who do not maximize linux computer speed.
        When I was using Debian and Kubuntu (I got the same results on both), I had literally a boot time twice as long as under Arch.

Comment

"Resource Hungry" = in 2016, if you complain about 256 MB of RAM while using a modern and powerful DE, you're a moron.

Buggy = just like any software project of this scale

"Not freely configurable desktop" = show me how you customize XFCE, and I'll show how I easily customize KDE

"all the time in development and full of bloatware and buggy code" = meanwhile, XFCE looks like we're back in 1995, hasn't seen any major code updates in more than a year, and some of it's fanboys love to embarrass themselves on the internet.

Comment

"Resource Hungry" = in 2016, if you complain about 256 MB of RAM while using a modern and powerful DE, you're a moron.

Buggy = just like any software project of this scale

"Not freely configurable desktop" = show me how you customize XFCE, and I'll show how I easily customize KDE

"all the time in development and full of bloatware and buggy code" = meanwhile, XFCE looks like we're back in 1995, hasn't seen any major code updates in more than a year, and some of it's fanboys love to embarrass themselves on the internet.

Comment

You can not configure those 3 menus like Whisker menu. Size, items, features etc.
              You can get a tabbed menu with history, one that looks very similar to Whisker (which is apparently as customizable as it is, minus the size) and a fullscreen one. That's a larger choice than just Whisker and a dropdown menu (I looked up over the settings it does have from a 2014 video, not sure if it improved by then).

In Xfce you can set panels everywhere you want and put any items for them in any order. For example if have Whisker menu in the top right corner, because I am right handed.
              You can do this in KDE. You can move a bar to every edge of the screen, set them as automatically folding, move taskbar widgets around, change its vertical and horizontal size, insert paddings etc.

Using resource hungry, slow, buggy and not freely configurable desktop must be really fun. KDE and GNOME 3 are newer finish, all the time in development and full of bloatware and buggy code.
              Resource hungry - 400MB at boot over my 8GB of RAM. That's more than what I got on other DEs but that's still very acceptable.
              Slow - Both on my i5 / SSD machine which understandably has it working very well and my 2009 crappy Core 2 Duo laptop with an HDD it was working pretty smoothly (NB: now I run gnome under wayland with an SSD on it, and it works well and smoothly too).
              Not freely configurable - I can customize everything I've thought of. Desktop widgets that also can apply to taskbars, a chunk of alternative widgets for the start menu/taskbar/etc.

Didn't understand the first part of the sentence but:
              "all the time in development" - KDE changed dramatically between KDE3 and KDE4, and now KDE4 and KDE5. We also have it working on Wayland now. It's evolving much faster.
              "full of bloatware" - What "bloatware"? Don't install KDE apps if you only want Plasma. If you want a full-featured desktop that non-tech-savvy windows guys could even use, then have them installed. Not KDE's fault if you can't manage your apps properly
              "buggy code" - Much more stable than it was. Makes me feel like you tried only old KDEs and KDE5 when it was still a newborn.

Comment

What is the time in you last xorg.0.log message after boot, here is mine:
                [ 6.292] (II) AMDGPU(0)

How fast you have desktop visible after bios beep and how long is the shutdown, I have 12 seconds and Xfce shuts down in 0 seconds.
                [ 5.086] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0):

Startup finished in 6.536s (firmware) + 99ms (loader) + 2.265s (kernel) + 5.697s (userspace) = 14.598s

(the userspace part appears longer than it is, the last service launched is cups which is delayed for some reason, after 5 seconds from kernel start (according to systemd-analyze plot) my script which runs after KDE has finished starting is started. I'm also shutting down instantly when no app is open because it's waiting a few seconds for them to close.

Comment

by the way, i don't even care if the plasma shell bar appears one second later than it would on xfce, because it boots up fast enough so my screen actually turns back on *after* it has shown up.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Hint: you can do calculations straight from KRunner. Alt+F2 and start typing the formula.
                    KRunner is a hidden gem, it will autocomplete bookmarks, emails and whatnot (I still haven't figured it all out).
                    That is a nice feature for small calculations for sure. I didn't know about that. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Goddard View Post

That is a nice feature for small calculations for sure. I didn't know about that. Thanks.
                      Note that you can make the shortcut more convenient in the settings. I personally set it to Meta + R, which is more accessible.

Comment

Working...
                      X