Radeon Open Compute 1.3 Platform Brings Polaris & Other Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    No it is not ok for me to use the AMDGPU-pro driver with my hd7850 go get closed source openCL...
    I better buy a new card it will become much cheaper than spending unlimited time into closed source bullshit again I did this in the past to the max and it never paid me anything.

And i think you and your company have fundamental wrong understanding of your customers
    it is simple people who do not buy new hardware to get a REAL feature like real- Opensource OpenCL
    are just no AMD-Customers at all. But amd still want to play the bullshit game on this non-customers.

It is not that we have no money or do not buy (expensive)hardware we just to smart to back up all Bullshit in the software industries but you and amd still try to sell us bullshit (closed source and no support)
    Out of Curiosity: What do you need OpenCL for? What are the main workloads you use your GPU for?
    If people are no AMD customers, they got to be using something else. Who is offering better and free(!) OpenCL support?
    I don't get the reason to get upset about that. Upcoming hardware will be fully covered via ROCm, others could still use free amdgpu stack and the OpenCL package on top. Why is it a big problem to install one piece of closed software? Most software that makes use of the GPU is closed software anyway. If the free stack is working ootb and fine and nothing is broken via x or kernel updates etc., everything is fine to me, for now.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Hi Q, that's not what I asked Amarildo - my question was all-open upstream-based stack plus closed source OpenCL on SI.
      That's not what I understood from your post. What I got was "3/4 opensource OPENCL components only", not "All open stack plus proprietary OpenCL".

And after re-reading that, I too cannot accept AMDGPU-PRO as a requirement for interop of OpenCL.

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
        Who does video transcoding in opencl? I mean if you want it fast, you use fixed function hardware, that is sufficient for most private users, IMHO.
        Blender VSE, soon Kdenlive and Pitivi via gstreamer. Outside open source, Adobe Premier, Sony Vega Studio and Nero already use OpenCL.

Comment

Unapproved again ¬_¬

Comment

Originally posted by Amarildo View Post
            That's not what I understood from your post. What I got was "3/4 opensource OPENCL components only", not "All open stack plus proprietary OpenCL". And after re-reading that, I too cannot accept AMDGPU-PRO as a requirement for interop of OpenCL.
            But I'm not *saying* AMDGPU-PRO, I'm saying "all open upstream-based stack plus closed source (actually more like 3/4 open source) OpenCL.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
              why then you didn't ask for mesa improvement?
              Because, I read (probably in this forum) that AMD focusses on open sourcing their OpenCL stuff and not supporting the Clover stack. So, no reason for me to distract the AMD devs.
              But, of course I want OpenCL back ASAP. (Had it working with Catalyst/Crimson/OpenSUSE and HD7950)

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                Is it fair to say that other than HPC scenarios Blender is the most important app for Linux OpenCL at the moment ?

I'm trying to make sure our internal testing aligns with what you all are actually doing with the cards.
                bridgman,

My primary OpenCL workload is BOINC. I love throwing my spare 390x processing at various scientific projects.

Currently I'm using the AMDGPU-PRO opencl library with mesa opengl. It's hackish, but I have had zero problems so far.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post

bridgman,

My primary OpenCL workload is BOINC. I love throwing my spare 390x processing at various scientific projects.

Currently I'm using the AMDGPU-PRO opencl library with mesa opengl. It's hackish, but I have had zero problems so far.
                  *PLEASE EXPLAIN HOW* hehehehehehehehhehe

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

Blender VSE, soon Kdenlive and Pitivi via gstreamer. Outside open source, Adobe Premier, Sony Vega Studio and Nero already use OpenCL.
                    Final Cut Pro, Renderman, Motion, Logic, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post
                      I also would like to know how to set up this?

Comment

Working...
                      X