A Word Of Warning When Using AMDGPU-PRO On An Unsupported Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dreakon View Post

If all I did with my machine was play games, then I could agree with you. However, apart from the disappointing gaming performance, I really prefer Linux in ever other aspect. And I'm not ready to give up on gaming on Linux just yet. While the steam machines were a flop, things are better now then they were a couple years ago.
    +100 for... all points!

Now that we have a real choice of games, I will not come back to MS in any case considering all other aspects I love Linux for.

So Steam machines may be a flop (can we consider it like a flop the way Valve did not really bring it out?) but Steam on Linux is good and I am very proud to have it natively, even if games loose a few % fps.

Comment

Yes, it is failing. Checked with cube and tri examples from VulkanSDK.

As for Ubuntu Gnome - I do not know how much different is this from regularnie Ubuntu, but I always thought it is just Ubuntu but with gdm and Gnome preinstalled instead of lightdm and Unity. Is AMDGPU-PRO supposed to work on Gnome?

Comment

DOTA2 also fails to launch with Vulkan on some swapchain related function but don't remember exactly and can't checked it now.

Comment

Originally posted by faldzip View Post
          Is AMDGPU-PRO supposed to work on Gnome?
          I believe RHEL is running Gnome (although not necessarily the same version as Ubuntu) so in principle yes, but AFAIK the RHEL and Ubuntu graphics stacks are fairly different so there may be other bits in there that aren't working. The support statement is distro-level though, not component level.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
            Sounds rational, but my guess is: I don't have Windows ATM, so I can't just compare the OpenGL performance, but given that "nine", being a generic code across many gallium drivers, compares/beats the original Windows DX performance — I'd assume the OpenGL part of that driver, is at least the same in performance as it was on Windows. It's because, from my understanding, both OpenGL and nine are implemented through gallium, which is already pretty good.
            Okay, I'm going to reply myself: I've just read the gallium architecture, and for my PC it's probably like "[OpenGL or Nine] → [radeon] → [r600]". So I think, the performance must be due to well-implemented userspace "radeon" driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

Anyone doing work, I mean work that involves CFD/FEA/Modeling of any kind, Compositing, Raw Editing, etc. all care.
              Yea, im pretty sure that OpenCL users are a majority on the linux side. Most compute platforms/applications run on linux, which is why its kinda annoying that opencl stuff is not a priority on linux for AMD...yet the 1% of users that game on linux seem to be getting performance thats on par with windows.

Comment

Originally posted by jstefanop View Post
                Yea, im pretty sure that OpenCL users are a majority on the linux side. Most compute platforms/applications run on linux, which is why its kinda annoying that opencl stuff is not a priority on linux for AMD...yet the 1% of users that game on linux seem to be getting performance thats on par with windows.
                AMD CL is on par with Windows too, has CL 2.0 for 2+ years now, just use supported cards and distro:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...tem&px=MTc5NjU

Altough they are in amdgpu driver transition, so support is somewhat different

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
                  Okay, I'm going to reply myself: I've just read the gallium architecture, and for my PC it's probably like "[OpenGL or Nine] → [radeon] → [r600]". So I think, the performance must be due to well-implemented userspace "radeon" driver.
                  More like [OpenGL or Nine] -> [r600 pipe driver] -> [radeon winsys driver] -> [radeon kernel driver] AFAIK.

The userspace "radeon" driver that most people think of (the radeon X driver aka xf86-video-ati) is not involved, although there is a userspace radeon winsys driver that talks to the radeon kernel driver.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

AMD CL is on par with Windows too, has CL 2.0 for 2+ years now, just use supported cards and distro:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...tem&px=MTc5NjU

Altough they are in amdgpu driver transition, so support is somewhat different
                    Yea maybe if your still using fglrx and a 4 year old graphics card? Polaris cards have been out for almost half a year now, and if you want any sort of compute ability your stuck with amdgpu-pro, which is a big step back compared to fglrx.

Someone mentioned that amdgpu-pro is not in beta anymore? This driver should be named an alpha release...barely any distro support, no ability to build the packages for whatever distro you want like fglrx, compute performance is at least 10% slower compared to windows, and there is not even a basic binary to manage your GPUs (hello aticonfig??).

Im very frustrated with AMD especially with the amount of money we have given them..if it wasent for the superior cost/compute(which is probably a wash compare to the resources we need to put into the systems to get them to a working state due to lack of support/proper drivers and utilities), and slight advantage GNC has over nvidia for our compute applications we would have jumped ship a long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Grinness View Post
                      Hi,

I am using Antergos, open-source stack (amdgpu + radeonsi) with an rx480 8GB (DRI3 enabled, kernel 4.8.7-1, Mesa 13.0.1)
                      performance are good, about 70% to 80% of Win on AAA titles like 'Shadow of Mordor' and 'Mad Max' (40 to 80 fps, not very stable, but all games very playable at high+ setttings)
                      Great performance on Dota2 with both opengl and vulkan (radv -- butter-smooth, no need to check fps tbh)
                      All other games tested run great (City Skyline, Insurgency, Borderland2, Divinity O.Sin, Civ5, Life is Strange,.......)

The only annoyance is Shadow of Mordor randomly freezing with the following message:
                      [30027.988862] amdgpu 0000:01:00.0: GPU fault detected: 146 0x09d88404
                      [30027.988863] amdgpu 0000:01:00.0: VM_CONTEXT1_PROTECTION_FAULT_ADDR 0x00000000
                      [30027.988864] amdgpu 0000:01:00.0: VM_CONTEXT1_PROTECTION_FAULT_STATUS 0x0C048004
                      [30027.988864] VM fault (0x04, vmid 6) at page 0, read from 'TC4' (0x54433400) (72)
                      [30027.988867] amdgpu 0000:01:00.0: GPU fault detected: 146 0x09d8c404
                      [30027.988868] amdgpu 0000:01:00.0: VM_CONTEXT1_PROTECTION_FAULT_ADDR 0x00110F38
                      [30027.988868] amdgpu 0000:01:00.0: VM_CONTEXT1_PROTECTION_FAULT_STATUS 0x0C004004
                      [30027.988869] VM fault (0x04, vmid 6) at page 1118008, read from 'TC1' (0x54433100) (4)
                      [30027.988872] amdgpu 0000:01:00.0: GPU fault detected: 146 0x09588804
                      [30027.988872] amdgpu 0000:01:00.0: VM_CONTEXT1_PROTECTION_FAULT_ADDR 0x00110F39
                      [30027.988873] amdgpu 0000:01:00.0: VM_CONTEXT1_PROTECTION_FAULT_STATUS 0x0C088004
                      [30027.988874] VM fault (0x04, vmid 6) at page 1118009, read from 'TC6' (0x54433600) (136)

I can still get into a console and reboot when it happens.

Cheers.
                      G.
                      These messages are unrelated to the freeze. Try to disable DRI3, if it helps then use LD_PRELOAD to load the proper libxcb, steam (I suppose you use steam) vendors buggy libxcb, please see https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=97174#c7.

Comment

Working...
                      X