The Current RadeonSI Benefits Of Switching To Mesa 13.1-dev Git On Ubuntu 16.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by haagch View Post
    You meant bloated? Just compare the run time of apt-get update; apt-get upgrade to pacman -Syu for a similar sized update. I know, apt is doing more work, but the result is that it takes much, much longer.
    Shouldn't people use aptitude instead of apt anymore? I haven't used a Debian based system in close to a decade, but I believe that's what I was told back then.

Comment

Too bad radeonsi is completely unusable for any games. It completely freezes the system with any game that stresses the driver. =/ has been for months with no real progress.

Comment

??

AFAIK TF2 is still having trouble with hangs when playing but I don't remember seeing that with other games recently. There is IIRC a problem with either Steam or Unity launcher but I don't *think* that is a driver issue.

Can you provide some details ?
        Test signature

Comment

Have you looked at the bug tracker? It has TF2, Stellaris, Legends of the Sword Coast, Shadows of Mordor (I personally havent experienced that one), XCOM2, all of them are freezing for people.

Comment

I took another look but most of the tickets on there are pretty old... TF2 was the only one that was still a big problem AFAIK. There may be others but I don't think it's fair to say "any game that stresses the driver".
            Test signature

Comment

And I'm not talking just the game freezes. Stellaris for example completely knocks out my system, I have to restart to recover. I can't even ssh into the computer from my laptop when it happens.

Comment

The tickets are old because the issue is old, new responses come in occassionally. I've basically stopped trying to help because I'm not familiar enough with the tech stack to get decent debugging information. I'm actually willing to go through the effort of tracking it down since I can reproduce it extremely reliably but not without some help in making sure I'm getting useful information towards solving the issue.

Comment

You can bacisically ignore 90% bugs on bugzilla , what you read there does not mean it will happen to you too... only if you can reproduce something is sort of valuable validation.

Opencourse software consist on diversifications, in reality there is no that much bugs per user machine, no

Comment

Ideally AMD should build one blob and magically avoid most of bugs and advise people to try or use that ... but again opensource people usually want something else

Comment

I agree in general except I can reproduce it as I'm one of the people impacted. If the problem was in isolation I'd agree, but people keep reporting it.

Comment

Working...
                      X