No announcement yet.

The Current RadeonSI Benefits Of Switching To Mesa 13.1-dev Git On Ubuntu 16.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Current RadeonSI Benefits Of Switching To Mesa 13.1-dev Git On Ubuntu 16.10

Phoronix: The Current RadeonSI Benefits Of Switching To Mesa 13.1-dev Git On Ubuntu 16.10

For those wondering the current benefits of switching over to Mesa Git (13.1-devel) on Ubuntu 16.10 compared to the stock Mesa 12 drivers, here are some benchmark comparisons for RadeonSI Gallium3D using an R9 Fury. There are also tests when moving to Linux 4.9 from the Ubuntu 16.10 "Yakkety Yak" Linux 4,8 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael I see that it is with LLVM 4.0, but could you add this information in the table as well (with the OpenGL, the Vulkan, the GCC and the Mesa versions)?

Comment

I don't use mesa so my comment may be ignorant, but has anyone tried compiling it with native optimizations + LTO and done benchmarks?

Comment

peppercats I don't think that would change much the results. The major improvements comes from a better management of the memory(-ies), or a better handling of the OpenGL extensions, etc... these kind of stuff aren't very CPU intensive, it just needs to be well thought. One thing that can be CPU intensive is the shaders compilation, but I think it's done with LLVM, not Mesa.

Comment

Let me know when working with Mesa 13+ stops crashing Blender 2.78, 2.78a, 2.8 git. It's completely useless.

Comment

Aricles like this sounds always like "why you should not use Ubuntu, but ArchLinux"

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
            Let me know when working with Mesa 13+ stops crashing Blender 2.78, 2.78a, 2.8 git. It's completely useless.
            Manjaro; Linux4.8; Mesa 13; Blender 2.78.a; R9 380 - no crash.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
              Is it crash on startup or something specific crashing there or random?

Ah you are with RX 480, might be Polaris specific... anyway just file a bug

Comment

Start Blender with DRI2 instead of DRI3:

env LIBGL_DRI3_DISABLE=1 blender %f

Comment

Arch + Mesa-git + llvm-svn = No Blender crash, except when trying to enable Luxrender.

Comment

Originally posted by Amarildo View Post
                    Start Blender with DRI2 instead of DRI3:

env LIBGL_DRI3_DISABLE=1 blender %f
                    Why that, he mentioned Blender git crashing also... and that DRI3 corruption default issue AFAIK is fixed in Blender git.

Comment

Working...
                    X