Don't Expect AMDGPU To Enable SI/CIK Support By Default Anytime Soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zgembo
    Does that work in Windows maybe? AMD has section on their forums, about those display support regressions from Catalyst time... well even on PS4 PRO some screens does not work... Visio again

Comment

• Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

From you log files, both kernel driver and xorg driver seems to init ok, so problem can be in you windows manager and desktop. lightdm and Xfce is stable.
      Look man, I appreciate your insight and advice, but not even console KMS work for me 'case eDP panel is dead after init. The driver THINKS its OK, but it ain't really, it, it may be firing up X and DM fine, and drawing stuff there, but display won't show anything other than pitch black. When I hook up external monitor via laptop's HDMI port, I can see the picture, and have no issues, but I really need laptop's embedded display working, for the obvious reasons...

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Ahh, interesting. I knew DAL did not include SI support, didn't know about Kaveri though...
        First of all, my sincere congrats for 10K+ posts, that shows some really honest support effort from both you as a person and AMD as whole.

Now, it would be very interesting to hear about if and how could DAL be enabled for first three GCN generations (and especially my Kaveri ). My hunch is telling me that that DAL can not really be GCN generation specific, the code is for enabling outputs, not doing 3D or other fancy stuff. Well, testing it on older generations may be a completely different story, but what the heck, some of us are dying to try, simply due to the lack of any other reasonable options.

Comment

. . .

Then you have many options for the kernel command line:

Compile the amdgpu kernel driver in to the kernel, do not compile it as module. Force the outpuit eDP only, check what you have in the BIOS too.
          I would, after I hear DAL can be enabled for Kaveri.

Comment

• Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            Zgembo
            Does that work in Windows maybe? AMD has section on their forums, about those display support regressions from Catalyst time... well even on PS4 PRO some screens does not work... Visio again

Last time I tired Windoze + AMD driver (how is that called these days?) on this particular machine eDP display worked like a charm. As a bonus, it has flicker-less transition from UEFI logo to Windoze desktop... Seriously, not even a single tear or frame skip.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zgembo View Post
              Now, it would be very interesting to hear about if and how could DAL be enabled for first three GCN generations (and especially my Kaveri ). My hunch is telling me that that DAL can not really be GCN generation specific, the code is for enabling outputs, not doing 3D or other fancy stuff. Well, testing it on older generations may be a completely different story, but what the heck, some of us are dying to try, simply due to the lack of any other reasonable options.
              DAL is generation-specific unfortunately. It is the display hardware driver, and display hardware does change from one generation to the next:

Display management has become pretty complicated in the last decade or so, particularly with the addition of DP and all the different variants/modes it allows.
              Test signature

Comment

DAL is generation-specific unfortunately. It is the display hardware driver, and display hardware does change from one generation to the next:

Display management has become pretty complicated in the last decade or so, particularly with the addition of DP and all the different variants/modes it allows.
                Ah yes, all these DCE revisions. But to my understanding DAL *existed* before, what I really wanted to say is that I think that not only one generation-specific DAL code was ported from fglrx to amdgpu(-pro), the same or similar DAL code must have had supported all GCN generations, as well as silicon before that...
                One curios thing in that RadeonFeature DCE table, Kaveri, Carizo and some others have this "VGA and LVDS are implemented via DP bridge chips" as a note. Heavy speculation here; maybe that exactly is the thing that is much better supported by DAL than current radeon/amdgpu eDP init...

Comment

• Originally posted by Zgembo View Post
                  Ah yes, all these DCE revisions. But to my understanding DAL *existed* before, what I really wanted to say is that I think that not only one generation-specific DAL code was ported from fglrx to amdgpu(-pro), the same or similar DAL code must have had supported all GCN generations, as well as silicon before that...
                  DAL existed before - DAL1 from ~1998, DAL2 from more recently - but DAL3, the version written to work in the Linux kernel, is brand new. DAL3 becomes the standard display driver across multiple OSes beginning with Raven Ridge; everything before that is Linux-only.

So yes "similar" code supports all GCN generations but "similar" in that context means "totally different code supporting similar functionality". Bringing HW generation support from DAL2 to DAL3 is closer to a rewrite than what you would typically think of as a port.
                  Last edited by bridgman; 20 November 2016, 02:14 PM.
                  Test signature

Comment

DAL enabled kernel is here, see the sources how much DAL code there is for Kaveri.
                    https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/...md-staging-4.7
                    Effectively, none.

Comment

DAL existed before - DAL1 from ~1998, DAL2 from more recently - but DAL3, the version written to work in the Linux kernel, is brand new. DAL3 becomes the standard display driver across multiple OSes beginning with Raven Ridge; everything before that is being written specifically for Linux.

So yes "similar" code supports all GCN generations but "similar" in that context means "totally different code supporting similar functionality". Bringing HW generation support from DAL2 to DAL3 is closer to a rewrite than what you would typically think of as a port.
                      Thanks for clarification & brief history of DAL. In that context, what comes first in the terms of priority for this brand new DAL3 effort, going mainline or supporting (some or all) previous GCN generations? What I was hoping for is that same eDP init algorithm as in DAL(2?) would one day end up running on my damned Lenovo.

Comment

Working...
                      X