How The AMD Polaris Open-Source Driver Performance Has Evolved Since Launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How The AMD Polaris Open-Source Driver Performance Has Evolved Since Launch

Phoronix: How The AMD Polaris Open-Source Driver Performance Has Evolved Since Launch

If you've been wondering how the AMDGPU+RadeonSI open-source driver stack has evolved since the hardware publicly launched, I ran some fresh benchmarks this weekend comparing my current driver numbers to that of my original Radeon RX 470 Linux review...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Glad I left Maxwell for Polaris. AMD's future feels bright. Gaming on Wayland (Gnome Mutter) is a funny thing because I can't even tell a difference.

Framerates @ 1080p are high enough in all games for me.

Comment

Thanks AMD!

Comment

bioshock improvement was not polaris-specific, though it was done by amd dev

Comment

Cool, nice to see that. Generally my 660 is starting to age now... 4x SGSSAA on 1080p is too hard for it. Also, I upgraded to it from a 4890 three years ago, and I bought that one four years before that, so it's almost time for another upgrade, hm. An RX 470 would be a good upgrade. But not quite yet, the prices are a bit too high at the moment. I'd estimate that it would make sense to upgrade in about two years. Maybe a full Zen system would be an option by then, hm.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            Cool, nice to see that. Generally my 660 is starting to age now... 4x SGSSAA on 1080p is too hard for it. Also, I upgraded to it from a 4890 three years ago, and I bought that one four years before that, so it's almost time for another upgrade, hm. An RX 470 would be a good upgrade. But not quite yet, the prices are a bit too high at the moment. I'd estimate that it would make sense to upgrade in about two years. Maybe a full Zen system would be an option by then, hm.
            I have seen multiple RX 470 cards on Newegg for $169. Definitely a good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              Unless you need to upgrade now for some game that doesn't run fast enough, I'd at least wait until Zen/Vega are out before making a decision.

Comment

Not much improvement except for Infinite. But this means initial support was good, which is a great thing.

In the meantime, Vega, where art thou?

Comment

Does anybody in this world (besides Michael) ever use 3840 x 2160 screens right now? O.O

Anyway, all this is just a part of the improvements. If I look back at the days, there was radeonHD in the very beginning and it was then not much more than a VESA driver. Today we have launch day support with 2D, 3D and video acceleration, energy management and more. It has grown very beautifully.
                  Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                    In the meantime, Vega, where art thou?
                    As far as i remember they pushed it from a Q3 2016 release to a late 2016/early 2017 release, but that has been the case for a few months now so that's nothing new.

Comment

Working...
                    X