Radeon GL Threading Work Leads To 70% Speed Boost In At Least One Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon GL Threading Work Leads To 70% Speed Boost In At Least One Game

Phoronix: Radeon GL Threading Work Leads To 70% Speed Boost In At Least One Game

Expert Mesa developer Marek Olšák at AMD is spending this weekend hacking on some new OpenGL threading code to benefit the open-source Radeon Linux driver stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Whooowhooo!

Comment

It boost Borderlands 2 for me too, although not that much it is more like 15% to 40% or as i like to say sort of 25% on average But it is not for other games to try as results can be nothing or quite the opposite

Maybe, well... some Unreal 3 engine games make sense to try... but probably not else.

Comment

Great progress since it has repeatedly become obvious that CPU overhead is much larger on Radeon than on Nvidia. On the other hand, it has mostly be shown to be a real issue for workloads running at 100+ fps anyway. Let's hope it will also translate to heavier workloads.

Comment

Hopefully this gets rid of the micro stutters in borderlands 2 for me.

Comment

Playing Tomb Raider 2013 on a 3110m-8670m laptop, I understood that there is a huge overhead difference between D3D9 and D3D11. D3D9 on Windowz gives 29Fps Cpu bound that lasts from low graphics to some high settings. On Gallium Nine the same gives 26Fps Cpu bound. D3D11 starts from 42Fps Cpu bound and becomes equal with the other two with all settings at high and 20Fps.

So Marek should also abandon a discontinued state tracker (OGL) and start doing threading hacks for Gallium Nine who has games released for it even today.

Comment

It will not fix that B2 still has stutter, you wanna shader cache feature really for that

Comment

Can't wait for shader cache + threaded mesa. We also definitely need shaders compile time optimizations, but that's the hardest part I guess and we will probably never get it with llvm.
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Comment

Can you try it with The Witcher 2?
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                    X