No announcement yet.

Radeon GL Threading Work Leads To 70% Speed Boost In At Least One Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think F1 2015 would also be a good candidate since it showed significantly improved performance with NVidia's threaded optimizations.

Btw, you're doing great videos Pontostroy, thanks!

Comment

really cool, thumbs up!

@Pontostroy: thanks for the video. I can't watch it currently due to my internet connection but I'll watch it later

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

wine-staging csmt enabled is faster than gallium nine when playing TR 2013. With Amd A8-7600 Apu, I got average 35 fps, max 45 with Mesa at 720p normal settings. Now with RX460 TR 2013 benchmark gives average 70 fps and max 100 at 1080p normal settings.
        For me with CSMT is not even playable. Usually CSMT gives me a 60% of what I take with Gallium Nine.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

Can you try it with The Witcher 2?
          5-6 fps(2-4% gpu load) in any settings with or without mesa_glthread

Comment

Originally posted by Pontostroy View Post

5-6 fps(2-4% gpu load) in any settings with or without mesa_glthread
            I wonder if you get the same result in vanilla mesa too. It shouldn't be like that, even if you have a 10-year-old GPU.

Comment

Just thought I'd point out that this is not strictly all Marek's credit. Most of this is just picking up work done by Eric Anholt and Paul Berry many years ago, rebasing, and flipping the switch. Still nice to see him picking up though. Just shows the power of open source, being able to pick up what others have put on the sideburner.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                We also definitely need shaders compile time optimizations, but that's the hardest part I guess and we will probably never get it with llvm.
                llvm already does shaders compile time optimizations

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
                  So Marek should also abandon a discontinued state tracker (OGL) and start doing threading hacks for Gallium Nine who has games released for it even today.
                  so apparently I missed the memo that mesa/st was discontinued

Comment

my unfinished borderlands 2 is waiting for this

Comment

At this stage, it shouldn't really work with or improve many games. Borderlands 2 is an exception. I chose a specific CPU-bound location to measure the frame rate improvement, ideally the maximum improvement there is, just so we know that we are on the right track.

Comment

Working...
                      X