r9 m265x. about to buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• r9 m265x. about to buy

it is toshiba satelite p50b with i7 4700hq and gpu from headline. does someone have expirience with such setup? i am going to use ubuntu or fedora. might try to passtrough radeon to guests with vtd. any advice

I'm going to guess that the m265x is GCN 1.0, which is tenuously working with amdgpu drivers at the moment. It should be rock solid with the radeonsi driver as well, as long as you don't mind some obscure bug that's existed in Team Fortress 2 for about a year now, which will cause a complete system lockup after about 5-10 minutes of playing.

Currently using Fedora 24 with Mystro256's vulkan-git and amd-staging repos, both found at https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/mystro256/

Comment

Originally posted by Shalrath View Post
      I'm going to guess that the m265x is GCN 1.0, which is tenuously working with amdgpu drivers at the moment. It should be rock solid with the radeonsi driver as well, as long as you don't mind some obscure bug that's existed in Team Fortress 2 for about a year now, which will cause a complete system lockup after about 5-10 minutes of playing.

Currently using Fedora 24 with Mystro256's vulkan-git and amd-staging repos, both found at https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/mystro256/
      Yes it is cape verde, gcn first gen. I am actually seldom playing games, I plan to use it only for pastrough to KVM guests to VTd so I can have desktop effects in a VM. For development purposes. I might play a game in VM as well, but I find games pretty boring. VTD with optimus in impossible, with Radeon I heard about some success. My GTX850M is problably never going ti be supported so I am exchanging that laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
        Boot it with a Debian live cd before you buy. Debian testing Xfce is more stable and easier distribution to install and maintain.
        I was thinking testing it with Fedora or Ubuntu. Debian has oldish drivers, not gonna cut it.

Comment

Anyways anyone having satellite P50-B-108 does it has some red flags with Linux? Or overall, I think it is solid build.

Comment

Don't buy GCN 1.0, it can go legacy any second. Look for something more recent, which will be supported for at least a few years.

Comment

Yeah, I eventually decided not to buy it. I sold my Asus X550JK and now using thnkpad X220T until I save for something new and shiny. Looking for Dell Precision with FirePro or HP ZBook also with FirePro. Or Thinkpad T460p with Intel HD graphics only. Will see what I will decide, for now this thinkpad X220T is useful enough.

Comment

In any case, NVIDIA fschk you.

Comment

Working...
                X