No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 16.10 / early 2011 MacBook Pro(8,2) - displayport link status failed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you have a Mac, you best bet is to use OSX. Macs have a huge amount of proprietary stuff that requires special handing to work properly on other OSes.

Comment

Yeah, I *really* gave OSX (and then MacOS / Sierra) a go. Well over three months on two different MBPs (started with a 13" and then thought (incorrectly)t a 15" would have bigger fonts, etc, system-wide).

The MBP is a pretty fine piece of equipment (in terms of hardware), and it so happens that my mum repairs / refurbishes and "flips" them, so I get a... *ahem*... rather good deal on them ;-)

I manage half a dozen or so boxes all up (just within the business / household). I run Debian on servers, Ubuntu on desktops, and Mythbuntu on dedicated media boxen. The only other OS I use is Android on my phone (and, sporadically, OSX / MacOS when I'm forced to undertake IOS development).

As I said, Ubuntu is managing the MBP just fine. It's only down to external display management. If it comes to it, I'll find a way (workspaces, I guess) to get around it :-)

I had an Asus before the MBPs - it also had hybrid graphics, and was thus as tricky to get Linux onto (both Arch and Ubuntu) as the Apple - and I needed to switch between two batteries to get anywhere near 5 or 6 hours out of it's battery...

Cheers,
      Mattt.

Comment

Working...
      X