• Show
Clear All

• ovoskeuiks
    replied
    Originally posted by agd5f View Post
    Radeonhd doesn't enable the DRI by default so you'll need to add:
    Option "DRI" "True"
    to the device section of your config.

As to the color problem, if the software GL stack works correctly, but HW does not, you've probably stumbled upon a bug in the the r300 driver (which is used by both radeon and radeonhd). Your best bet it to file a bug against the r300 mesa driver at https://bugs.freedesktop.org. Be sure to attach your xorg log and config and a description of the problem.
    Thanks for that I'll try and post some useful information for them.

As for DRI all I get when I try to use the DRI option is a warning saying Option DRI is not used. This is the same whether I use XAA or ShadowFB.

(WW) RADEONHD(0): Option "DRI" is not used

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Configured Video Device"
    Driver "radeonhd"
    Option "AccelMethod" "ShadowFB"
    Option "DRI" "True"
    EndSection

Leave a comment:

• agd5f
    replied
    Radeonhd doesn't enable the DRI by default so you'll need to add:
    Option "DRI" "True"
    to the device section of your config.

As to the color problem, if the software GL stack works correctly, but HW does not, you've probably stumbled upon a bug in the the r300 driver (which is used by both radeon and radeonhd). Your best bet it to file a bug against the r300 mesa driver at https://bugs.freedesktop.org. Be sure to attach your xorg log and config and a description of the problem.

Leave a comment:

• ovoskeuiks
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    I think the original poster is trying to run the open source drivers rather than fglrx.

Anyways, I think we have the answer to the original question, ie why the colours were correct with radeonhd but not with radeon. With radeonhd you were running with the software 3D driver so it's likely there is a colour conversion problem in the hardware accelerated 3D driver.
    Correct, So my next question is to whom do I direct a query regarding the colour space problem?

for reference here is the log using XAA acceleration, the result is the same software rendering
    Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

Also would be interesting as to why direct rendering isn't working using radeonhd. It doesn't worry me particularly because radeon works fine but I'd be happy to do some debugging if it was useful to someone.
    Last edited by ovoskeuiks; 25 September 2008, 08:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    I think the original poster is trying to run the open source drivers rather than fglrx.

Anyways, I think we have the answer to the original question, ie why the colours were correct with radeonhd but not with radeon. With radeonhd you were running with the software 3D driver so it's likely there is a colour conversion problem in the hardware accelerated 3D driver.

Leave a comment:

• forum1793
    replied
    Your glxinfo shows:
    Code:
    #
    OpenGL vendor string: Mesa Project
    #
    OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer
    #
    OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.1
    This tells you mesa (software) is running and not fglrx. Mine shows (for 780g and catalyst 8.9):
    Code:
    OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
    OpenGL version string: 2.1.7979 Release
    Did you have errors when running the autoinstaller (sh ati*.run)? Are you running a different kernel since you installed the catalyst drivers and need to rerun? Sorry if you already answered as I didn't go back and read earlier posts.

Edit: oops, sorry, I didn't notice this was open source driver post as I'm reviewing both.
    Last edited by forum1793; 25 September 2008, 07:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    (II) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI2 capable
    (II) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI capable
    (II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized /usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so
    (II) GLX: Initialized DRISWRAST GL provider for screen 0
    OK, let's see. It's definitely using the software rasterizer, possibly because you are running with shadowfb.

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Configured Video Device"
    Driver "radeonhd"
    Option "AccelMethod" "ShadowFB"
    # Option "DRI"
    EndSection
    Suggest you either comment out the ShadowFB option (which gets you the default of XAA, I think) or choose EXA instead if you want to run Compiz. The reason for choosing EXA is that if you want to redirect textured video playback for Compiz you need the EXA memory manager; the one in XAA isn't good enough.

Try that first and let's see what happens.

Leave a comment:

• ovoskeuiks
    replied
    The 3D and DRM drivers are common between radeon and radeonhd, although 3D was only fully integrated into radeonhd relatively recently. One possibility is that radeonhd was falling back to software rendering for some reason -- "works but terribly slow" is another way of saying "software rendering"

Could you pastebin a log with radeonhd ?
    This is using radeonhd with the xorg.conf options specified in the installing open-source drivers thread in this forum. Uncommenting the DRI option gives a Warning saying Option DRI is not used

xorg.conf
    Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

Xorg.0.log

glxinfo

glxgears performance with this is about 120 FPS as oppose to around 800 with ati-radeon

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• ovoskeuiks
    replied
    The 3D and DRM drivers are common between radeon and radeonhd, although 3D was only fully integrated into radeonhd relatively recently. One possibility is that radeonhd was falling back to software rendering for some reason -- "works but terribly slow" is another way of saying "software rendering"

I can but I'm away at a Tangi for the next few days will post it when I'm back in front of that machine.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ovoskeuiks
    replied
    Originally posted by agd5f View Post
    If ffplay uses Xv and it works, I'm guessing it's a problem with the GL code in libavg or the r300 3D driver.
    Is the r300 3D driver common to both radeon and radeonhd? The radeonhd works but with terrible performance, so would that point to it being something in the implementation of the radeon driver?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X