No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 8.9 Gets WINE Fix, RandR 1.2 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While it's great to see such a large bugfix list, it's sad to see that new problems have been introduced, or that they haven't been solved completely. For example, when I started reading the article, I was like 'This is it! This is the driver release that will end all problems!', and then I get bummed by 3D corruption on the Unigine Tropics engine :/ Why is having normal 3D acceleration too hard?

Comment

Still Tearing?

Is xv output (eg with mythtv) still tearing? While the changelog is impressive I won't be able to ditch my nvidia card until I can get tear-free output on mythtv.

Comment

while everybody complains about small missing features :P
        I do complain about a bad regression that segfaults my Xorg on start-up.

It already happened with Catalyst 8.7...

Code:
        [...snip...]
        (II) fglrx(0): Direct rendering enabled
        (II) fglrx(0): Interrupt handler installed at IRQ 16.
        (II) fglrx(0): Exposed events to the /proc interface
        (II) fglrx(0): Finished Initialize PPLIB!
        (II) fglrx(1): === [atiddxPreInit] === begin
        (EE) fglrx(1): Quitting secondary screen -- no monitor specified.
        (EE) fglrx(1): PreInit failed
        (II) fglrx(1): === [atiddxPreInit] === end

Backtrace:
        0: /usr/bin/X(xf86SigHandler+0x6a) [0x49263a]
        1: /lib/libc.so.6 [0x7f9e61f5dda0]
        2: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers//fglrx_drv.so(atiddxFreeScreen+0x2f4) [0x7f9e5fcfa434]
        3: /usr/bin/X(xf86DeleteScreen+0x7e) [0x4a5ade]
        4: /usr/bin/X(InitOutput+0xa1f) [0x46c0bf]
        5: /usr/bin/X(main+0x2c6) [0x437256]
        6: /lib/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xe6) [0x7f9e61f491d6]
        7: /usr/bin/X(FontFileCompleteXLFD+0x289) [0x4366f9]

Fatal server error:
        Caught signal 11.  Server aborting
        exactly the same backtrace!! (info about my architecture are in that thread, too)

and other people experienced it too:

with other chipsets...

Catalyst 8.8 and 8.6 didn't suffer for the hang.
        There may be a workaround?

Comment

Its funny that WINE fixes are supposed to be an important feature of this release, but there is no mention of WINE in the release notes.

Comment

That driver is fully crap for several reasons:

a) Using Debian etch + Xorg 7.1.1

OpenGL accelleration only works as root! The xorg.conf entry

Section "DRI"
            Mode 0666
            EndSection

Seems to be fully ignored. Absolutely unusable!

b) Absolutely no rendering improvements - even as root pointsprites are missing

Hey mtippet didn't you tell me at the end of JUNE that after 2 month all would work - like gl2benchmark and your example with flightgear?

c) Not even the most trivial fixes for 2.6.27 support - load the kernel module only smp_call_function must be fixed - for 2.6.27 and newer the 3rd option has to be removed, wow thats really hard that you can not make it.

Maybe AMD/ATI wants to wins the worst driver of the year award with that piece of shit. I guess the Linux devs there play at home with Nvidia cards in their pcs.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              That driver is fully crap for several reasons:

a) Using Debian etch + Xorg 7.1.1

OpenGL accelleration only works as root! The xorg.conf entry

Section "DRI"
              Mode 0666
              EndSection

Seems to be fully ignored. Absolutely unusable!

b) Absolutely no rendering improvements - even as root pointsprites are missing

Hey mtippet didn't you tell me at the end of JUNE that after 2 month all would work - like gl2benchmark and your example with flightgear?

c) Not even the most trivial fixes for 2.6.27 support - load the kernel module only smp_call_function must be fixed - for 2.6.27 and newer the 3rd option has to be removed, wow thats really hard that you can not make it.

Maybe AMD/ATI wants to wins the worst driver of the year award with that piece of shit. I guess the Linux devs there play at home with Nvidia cards in their pcs.
              well thats one hell of a great post...
              why don't you try to rant a little bit less and at least tell us what gpu you are using...

Comment

Having tested it a bit further now (esp. regarding Wine), I noticed that (apart from the usual screen corruption) virtual desktop switching works again and Wine doesn't segfault anymore when started twice on the same terminal.

By the way, @Michael: the official spelling is Wine, not WINE.

Comment

I couldn't get this driver to work: a few seconds after X started, it would (soft) crash. It's the first time a driver didn't work here and no amount of tinkering could get it in shape, so I'm back to 8.8 for now.

RV580 (X1950 Pro) on Ubuntu 8.04 x86_64 with 6GB of memory.

At least 8.8 works quite well, so it's not a problem. Looking forward to Ubuntu 8.10 with the open-source drivers now - already tested and they work flawlessly here!

Comment

Works fine, here (Ubuntu 8.04) with my HD 3870.

But, I'm not doing anything interesting.

Comment

Well now "OffscreenRenderingMode fbo" works in wine again, so no stuff thats not supposed to on the screen appears in the bottom left, but I cant minimize or switch desktop anymore . I can interact with the desktop ( e.g. open something in the taskbar ) , but i cant see anything . It flickers for a second where i see the desktop , then wine's all over the place again .

( debian lenny , mobility x700 )
                      Last edited by flami; 18 September 2008, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X