No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 8.9 Gets WINE Fix, RandR 1.2 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mhhh last ati drivers include new features but they come with more problems.
    I use only linux and the only app 3d that I use is quake3arena.
    So, with 8.7 I've no problems with q3 (also if there is problems with wine, fixed with this realase, and blender); but with 8.8 I have problems with mouse movements on q3, and with 8.9 now the mouse don't works into the game, and X crash.
    I'm using Debian Lenny realase in an Acer Aspire 5672 with ati raden mobility X1400.
    Now I ordered a new pc with nvidia card, but I hope AMD/ATI will come the best choice for linux users with the future opensource driver.
    Bye

Comment

OpenGL 3.0 support close?

I saw that the Windows 8.9 version already supports some extensions for OpenGL 3.0 support (they call it `OpenGL 3.0 support - Phase 1'). Lets hope these new features will soon also arrive for Linux!

Comment

Well, if I have to choose between xserver 1.5 support or opengl 3 I'd take xserver 1.5 support any day!

Comment

this release does have improvement against some issue's that came along but an new one of course came up.

In this case the issue I'm having with this new release is in compiz fusion the alpha blur effect is become the equivalent of the saturation effect.

So if i have alpha blur enabled just about all my menu's become gray instead of having the blur effect like i had set them to have.

Another issue is I was being logged out after 3 seconds from these drivers, but that was only after i had logged in and out a few times which in most cases i never do.

Those are the only ones that are new for me this release.

Running an IGP 1200 Xpress ( rs690 ) [512 MiB memory shared to this IGP], the rest i don't think matters but AMD64x2 cpu, 2 GiB RAM, and Gigabyte Motherboard on Ubuntu 8.04. If you need more info just say so.

Actually it's xorg thats crashing nor me being logged out it has the same effect as Ctrl+Alt+Backspace though once it happens once it continuously happens afterwards. This is not limited to repeated logging in and out (thats the easy way to cause this fault) it can happen at random times too.
          Last edited by TheWind; 18 September 2008, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Wow, just read the phoronix article.
            I'm really looking forward to the upcomming 8.10 driver, hoping I'll get XServer 1.5 support on my birthday

EDIT: @TheWind:
            I'm experiencing the same problem. This doesn't occur with focus blur though...
            Last edited by NeoBrain; 18 September 2008, 08:29 AM.

Comment

changelog

Interesting things about the changelog/new features:

I first learned of the ATI Proprietary Linux Driver Releases news feed, which states:

Driver version: 8.532

NEW FEATURES:
              (1) Production support for Red Flag DT6SP1 and OpenSUSE 11

ISSUES RESOLVED: (1) Desktop corruption when using full screen Wine application. (2) Compilation issues against Linux kernel 2.6.26. (3) HDMI Audio support on Radeon HD 3100/3200 products. (4) X fails after driver install for Radeon HD 4870 and FireGL V7700. (5) Choppy playback during video playback. (6) Fatal error while restarting X, after resolution change in amdcccle. (7) Segmentation fault when running textured video.

However, on the page that the feed links to, there is no mention of these issues...

Comment

Originally posted by StefanHamminga View Post
                Well, if I have to choose between xserver 1.5 support or opengl 3 I'd take xserver 1.5 support any day!
                You are absolutely right, for most people xserver 1.5 is far more important then OpenGL 3.0. I am using Ubuntu 8.04 with the default 8.6.24-19, so currently I don't have any specific wishes for other kernel/xserver/xorg support (although I might upgrade to Ubuntu 8.10 when it arrives, so that would mean I also need support for all these things).

Originally posted by NeoBrain View Post
                Wow, just read the phoronix article.
                I'm really looking forward to the upcomming 8.10 driver, hoping I'll get XServer 1.5 support on my birthday

EDIT: @TheWind:
                I'm experiencing the same problem. This doesn't occur with focus blur though...
                Hah, if you present it like this: who knows I get a nice birthday present too (14th October, that is probably a bit to early for the next release).

Comment

Originally posted by Heiko View Post
                  Hah, if you present it like this: who knows I get a nice birthday present too (14th October, that is probably a bit to early for the next release).
                  15th October for me, still way too early for a feature release ;-) I expect it about the 23rd.

Apart from that, I don't care much about OGL 3.0 either as long as there are no apps using it.

Comment

The only difference I've noticed wrt 8.8 is that now in amdcccle I cannot override the application settings for Antialiasing and Anisotropic filtering (everything is disabled). I can change Adaptive Antialiasing, Mipmap detail and "More Settings", though.

Anyone else? HD3850 here.

Comment

Originally posted by Fran View Post
                      The only difference I've noticed wrt 8.8 is that now in amdcccle I cannot override the application settings for Antialiasing and Anisotropic filtering (everything is disabled). I can change Adaptive Antialiasing, Mipmap detail and "More Settings", though.

Anyone else? HD3850 here.
                      amdcccle segfaults for me... I'm not using it too often anyways

Comment

Working...
                      X