No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 8.9 Gets WINE Fix, RandR 1.2 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems that half-life 2 via wine works the first time I run it. But subsequent runs result in a black screen after the Valve logo. This persists until reboot.

Comment

Chris Clearwater:

Thanks. Rather than enable backports, I just installed Flash Player 10 RC manually. It's much better than the beta I tried a month or two months back. The full screen problem is now gone. I guess the problem was on Adobe's side. Not surprised there, but between blaming ATI or blaming Adobe with regards to their Linux support... now that's a hard choice!

Comment

Originally posted by StefanHamminga View Post
        So still no xserver 1.5 support?
        I also had hoped that I could leave 1.5 on my upcomming Fedora 9 installation, guess I'll need to downgrade that one...
        Downloading the new driver now, hope it will be better than 8.8.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoBrain View Post
          I also had hoped that I could leave 1.5 on my upcomming Fedora 9 installation, guess I'll need to downgrade that one...
          Downloading the new driver now, hope it will be better than 8.8.
          I'd say that this release is definitely an improvement, at least for what I do (occasional 3D game, Starcraft and Warcraft 3 in wine, videos in mplayer, flash videos on YouTube... I haven't checked for tearing in videos (that has never gone away for me, even when the release notes claim the issue was fixed.) I use mplayer (generally latest or near-latest svn) xv output.

Hopefully, you don't have to downgrade. That's just a bummer. Please let us know how it goes.

Overall, thumbs up from me. (I'll save two thumbs up when (if?) we reach parity with the Windows Catalyst drivers... but hey, even those are buggy!)

Random Edit: What's the difference between "thumbs up" and "two thumbs up"? "Thumbs up" is already plural. Perhaps I should give this release a thumb up, but that just sounds awkward.
          Last edited by LOLatMS; 18 September 2008, 05:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Clearwater View Post
            It seems that half-life 2 via wine works the first time I run it. But subsequent runs result in a black screen after the Valve logo. This persists until reboot.
            I once had to turn off shader support in winecfg in order to get into the menu. Not sure if the problem should be fixed now though.

EDIT: oh wait, you are talking about HL 2...
            I really should practise reading a bit :P

Comment

Worst release this year. Breaks virtual desktop switching with WoW & Wine. The wm context menue flickers heavily and cannot be used. Alt-Tabbing does not work. Subsequent corruption when attempting to switch desktops. Still no pbuffers fix. Reverted to 8.08 within minutes...

Comment

I am confused.
                On one hand there is a bug fix for:
                Hot plugging a digital panel to an ATI Radeon HD 46x0 series product no longer results in the digital panel failing to become active. Further details can be found in topic number: 737-37421
                On the other hand there is no support for the 46x0 Series?

Comment

Bad, bad, bad....

jesus@tux-CT:~$ fglrxinfo
                  Locking assertion failure. Backtrace:
                  #0 /usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.so.0 [0xb7bc9767]
                  #1 /usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.so.0(xcb_xlib_unlock+0x31) [0xb7bc98b1]
                  #2 /usr/lib/libX11.so.6 [0xb7db8421]
                  #3 /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1(__glXInitialize+0x5d5) [0xb7e78e75]
                  #4 /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1 [0xb7e7507d]
                  #5 /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1(glXChooseVisual+0x3a) [0xb7e76c3a]
                  #6 fglrxinfo [0x8048d14]
                  #7 fglrxinfo [0x8048a58]
                  #8 /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xe0) [0xb7c32450]
                  #9 fglrxinfo [0x80488f1]
                  display: :0.0 screen: 0
                  OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
                  OpenGL renderer string: ATI RADEON 9600 Series
                  OpenGL version string: 2.1.7979 Release
                  SOLVED: It was something wrong with libGL* links on /usr/X11R6/lib/
                  Last edited by Fenix-TX; 18 September 2008, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Okay, at least nothing broke for me in 8.9.
                    My experiences:
                    - screen corruption because of the screen corruption workaround (mode 1361x768), easily fixed though
                    - switching from X to VT1 and back works now
                    - creating a second X server on VT8 doesn't fail now, but when switching back to the first one the system freezes (Sysrq-able)
                    - WINE APPLICATIONS still give this damn libGL error, this one exists like about 10 releases now...
                    - Well, I guess this is a limitation of the X server, but firefox scrolling is usuable, but way slower than in windows.
                    - And c'mon: Why must the download be 63 MB? It also seems to get bigger with each release, and I often spent 2 hours on downloading & installing just to see that the new driver doesn't offer something useful for me without breaking anything at the same time.

Comment

AMD Catalyst 8.9 Gets WINE Fix, RandR 1.2 Support

Phoronix: AMD Catalyst 8.9 Gets WINE Fix, RandR 1.2 Support

Last month with the Catalyst 8.8 Linux driver we finally experienced CrossFire support on Linux as well as OverDrive support. This was one of the most significant driver releases of the year, but it's now time to move on as Catalyst 8.9 has just been released. This new driver update does bring a few exciting changes: the long-awaited WINE fixes, what appears to be RandR 1.2 with accelerated rotation support, and a horde of bug-fixes.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Working...
                      X