Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BlackStar
    replied
    I couldn't get this driver to work: a few seconds after X started, it would (soft) crash. It's the first time a driver didn't work here and no amount of tinkering could get it in shape, so I'm back to 8.8 for now.

RV580 (X1950 Pro) on Ubuntu 8.04 x86_64 with 6GB of memory.

At least 8.8 works quite well, so it's not a problem. Looking forward to Ubuntu 8.10 with the open-source drivers now - already tested and they work flawlessly here!

Leave a comment:

• NeoBrain
    replied
    Having tested it a bit further now (esp. regarding Wine), I noticed that (apart from the usual screen corruption) virtual desktop switching works again and Wine doesn't segfault anymore when started twice on the same terminal.

By the way, @Michael: the official spelling is Wine, not WINE.

Leave a comment:

• Pfanne
    replied
    Originally posted by Kano View Post
    That driver is fully crap for several reasons:

a) Using Debian etch + Xorg 7.1.1

OpenGL accelleration only works as root! The xorg.conf entry

Section "DRI"
    Mode 0666
    EndSection

Seems to be fully ignored. Absolutely unusable!

b) Absolutely no rendering improvements - even as root pointsprites are missing

Hey mtippet didn't you tell me at the end of JUNE that after 2 month all would work - like gl2benchmark and your example with flightgear?

c) Not even the most trivial fixes for 2.6.27 support - load the kernel module only smp_call_function must be fixed - for 2.6.27 and newer the 3rd option has to be removed, wow thats really hard that you can not make it.

Maybe AMD/ATI wants to wins the worst driver of the year award with that piece of shit. I guess the Linux devs there play at home with Nvidia cards in their pcs.
    well thats one hell of a great post...
    why don't you try to rant a little bit less and at least tell us what gpu you are using...

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    That driver is fully crap for several reasons:

a) Using Debian etch + Xorg 7.1.1

OpenGL accelleration only works as root! The xorg.conf entry

Section "DRI"
    Mode 0666
    EndSection

Seems to be fully ignored. Absolutely unusable!

b) Absolutely no rendering improvements - even as root pointsprites are missing

Hey mtippet didn't you tell me at the end of JUNE that after 2 month all would work - like gl2benchmark and your example with flightgear?

c) Not even the most trivial fixes for 2.6.27 support - load the kernel module only smp_call_function must be fixed - for 2.6.27 and newer the 3rd option has to be removed, wow thats really hard that you can not make it.

Maybe AMD/ATI wants to wins the worst driver of the year award with that piece of shit. I guess the Linux devs there play at home with Nvidia cards in their pcs.

Leave a comment:

• carpex
    replied
    Its funny that WINE fixes are supposed to be an important feature of this release, but there is no mention of WINE in the release notes.

Leave a comment:

• Vighy
    replied
    while everybody complains about small missing features :P
    I do complain about a bad regression that segfaults my Xorg on start-up.

It already happened with Catalyst 8.7...

Code:
    [...snip...]
    (II) fglrx(0): Direct rendering enabled
    (II) fglrx(0): Interrupt handler installed at IRQ 16.
    (II) fglrx(0): Exposed events to the /proc interface
    (II) fglrx(0): Finished Initialize PPLIB!
    (II) fglrx(1): === [atiddxPreInit] === begin
    (EE) fglrx(1): Quitting secondary screen -- no monitor specified.
    (EE) fglrx(1): PreInit failed
    (II) fglrx(1): === [atiddxPreInit] === end

Backtrace:
    0: /usr/bin/X(xf86SigHandler+0x6a) [0x49263a]
    1: /lib/libc.so.6 [0x7f9e61f5dda0]
    2: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers//fglrx_drv.so(atiddxFreeScreen+0x2f4) [0x7f9e5fcfa434]
    3: /usr/bin/X(xf86DeleteScreen+0x7e) [0x4a5ade]
    4: /usr/bin/X(InitOutput+0xa1f) [0x46c0bf]
    5: /usr/bin/X(main+0x2c6) [0x437256]
    6: /lib/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xe6) [0x7f9e61f491d6]
    7: /usr/bin/X(FontFileCompleteXLFD+0x289) [0x4366f9]

Fatal server error:
    Caught signal 11.  Server aborting
    exactly the same backtrace!! (info about my architecture are in that thread, too)
    http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11570

and other people experienced it too:
    http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11794
    with other chipsets...

Catalyst 8.8 and 8.6 didn't suffer for the hang.
    There may be a workaround?

Leave a comment:

• liels
    replied
    Still Tearing?

Is xv output (eg with mythtv) still tearing? While the changelog is impressive I won't be able to ditch my nvidia card until I can get tear-free output on mythtv.

Leave a comment:

• Extreme Coder
    replied
    While it's great to see such a large bugfix list, it's sad to see that new problems have been introduced, or that they haven't been solved completely. For example, when I started reading the article, I was like 'This is it! This is the driver release that will end all problems!', and then I get bummed by 3D corruption on the Unigine Tropics engine :/ Why is having normal 3D acceleration too hard?

Leave a comment:

• NeoBrain
    replied
    Originally posted by Fran View Post
    The only difference I've noticed wrt 8.8 is that now in amdcccle I cannot override the application settings for Antialiasing and Anisotropic filtering (everything is disabled). I can change Adaptive Antialiasing, Mipmap detail and "More Settings", though.

Anyone else? HD3850 here.
    amdcccle segfaults for me... I'm not using it too often anyways

Leave a comment:

• Fran
    replied
    The only difference I've noticed wrt 8.8 is that now in amdcccle I cannot override the application settings for Antialiasing and Anisotropic filtering (everything is disabled). I can change Adaptive Antialiasing, Mipmap detail and "More Settings", though.

Anyone else? HD3850 here.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X