Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh AMDGPU-PRO vs. NVIDIA OpenCL LInux Benchmarks - 11 GPUs

Phoronix: Fresh AMDGPU-PRO vs. NVIDIA OpenCL LInux Benchmarks - 11 GPUs

While running the fresh NVIDIA vs. AMD Vulkan Linux benchmarks (that also included some OpenGL numbers too), I had also taken the opportunity to run some fresh OpenCL compute benchmarks of the latest NVIDIA 370 proprietary Linux driver against AMDGPU-PRO on different graphics cards...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Are these tests FP32 only? Could it be possible to mention the respective precision used for each bench? Thanks

Comment

I"ll repeat my request here from the Nvidia vs AMD showdown. I'd like to see a showdown between different generations of AMD APUs. Mullins, Jaguar, Kaveri, Carrizo and even the new Bristol Ridge.

Also.....what effects different speed DDR RAM has on performance. Like the difference between DDR 3 1600 vs DDR 3 2400 or even DDR 4 2400 since Bristol Ridge can use DDR 4 like the upcoming ZEN APU.

Comment

Would be nice to see some windows benchmarks too, see how bad the drop is.

Comment

It's very easy to favor a vendor over another:
          . use fp64 on one, and fp32 (or even fp16) on the other (huge perf impact)
          . use optimized shader for one vendor, and generic shader on another (optimizing an opencl shader for an architecture can be x2 or more gains)

Unfortunately, it just seems to show some of these benchmarks had some nvidia optimizations.

Comment

Originally posted by mannerov View Post
            . use optimized shader for one vendor, and generic shader on another (optimizing an opencl shader for an architecture can be x2 or more gains)

Unfortunately, it just seems to show some of these benchmarks had some nvidia optimizations.
            Or fortunately depending on how you looka at it. I've always speculated that benchmarks can at the very least tip the odds towards at least some in one camp's favor although I'm sure they put some effort into being neutral.

So what is the ELI5 message of these benchmarks? And the driver tested has the same OpenCL version support and so on as the counterparts in the driver?

Comment

Originally posted by mannerov View Post

Using a different FP precision would be massively dishonest. 'Optimisation' is much harder to pin down, to what extent is it tweaked an to what extent is it just a workload that favours the strengths of a particular chip?. Different algorithms stress different things, so you need to pick one that's representative of the workload you're interested in.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                The only OpenCL test cases where AMD came out far ahead was in LuxMark, which tends to favor AMD hardware/drivers.
                Fury X: 8.6 TFLOPS SP
                GTX 980 Ti: 6.1 TFLOPS
                RX 480: 5.8 TFLOPS

Where do you see Luxmark favoring anyone? The Luxmark results are exactly as expected. With the Exception of the GTX 1070 and 1080.
                The SHOC benchmark results show mostly unexpected behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by oooverclocker View Post

Fury X: 8.6 TFLOPS SP
                  GTX 980 Ti: 6.1 TFLOPS
                  RX 480: 5.8 TFLOPS

Where do you see Luxmark favoring anyone? The Luxmark results are exactly as expected. With the Exception of the GTX 1070 and 1080.
                  The SHOC benchmark results show mostly unexpected behavior.
                  Just a reminder, Michael is testing a Fury (non-X) not the Fury X.

Comment

Originally posted by pcxmac View Post
                    Would be nice to see some windows benchmarks too, see how bad the drop is.
                    As far as the real world goes, I've seen no difference.

Comment

Working...
                    X