Marek Has Taken To Improving Mesa's GLSL Compiler Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    so it looks like most promising is multithreading, but not only for shader compiler
    Many things in the OpenGL API simply cannot be threaded, however some things can be split into a synchronous and asynchronous part. In the case of the shader compiler, the driver does not need to do final codegen until a draw is issued with that shader program; however it must do validation on the shader source synchronously. There is some room to improve efficiency here, however things could get worse if we blindly multithread everything that can conceivably multithreaded.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
      Many things in the OpenGL API simply cannot be threaded
      it was not my guess, i read it from todays irc discussion

Comment

Could someone give an idea of how often shaders are compiled, for someone who does no graphics development?

Is this something that happens on program startup? or do shaders get rebuilt constantly with different parameters during runtime?

Comment

Originally posted by jaxxed View Post
          Could someone give an idea of how often shaders are compiled, for someone who does no graphics development?

Is this something that happens on program startup? or do shaders get rebuilt constantly with different parameters during runtime?
          Yes, it usually happens at startup. Occasional runtime recompilations can be triggered by the OpenGL driver (usually for fragment shaders, caused by state/resolution changes), but I think they're done from bytecode, not raw GLSL. So I think these patches help only at startup, the runtime "hiccups" will be probably reduced by the work-in-progress shader cache instead.

Comment

It can also happen when someone switches on graphics debug options or changes graphics setttings.

Comment

Originally posted by jaxxed View Post
              as already said by yzsolt and atomsymbol, they are compiled mostly at loading time, but also in draw calls when emulating certain features in the driver

see https://www.x.org/wiki/Events/XDC201..._recompile.pdf

how often? I don't know

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

It's only been mentioned on Phoronix DOZENS of times.... AMD.
                Yes, you are absolutely correct. I got mixed up between Marek Olšá and Ilia Mirkin. It is Ilia that I was unsure of.

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post

Just googled it for fun:
                  For all those people who find it more convenient to bother you with their question rather than to Google it for themselves.

The first result for me is this article:
                  Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Doesn't seem to be too hard to find this info
                  Yes, you are absolutely correct. I got mixed up between Marek Olšá and Ilia Mirkin. It is Ilia that I was unsure of.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

I just googled his name alone "marek olsak" and the same article was the 1st one to pop up.

For fun i tried the same with bing and duck duck go. Both have the same article listed on the 1st page of results, and bing has the first result a link to an AMD business profile.

So now I'm really confused about how adila01 could have possibly had any difficulty at all discovering this.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                      adila01 probably looked at mail adress on mesa-dev, so he can't conclude nothing there from private mareo
                      I got mixed up between Marek Olšá and Ilia Mirkin. It is Ilia that I was unsure of.

Comment

Working...
                      X