Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon Vulkan Driver Added To Mesa, Fresh Radeon Vulkan vs. OpenGL Benchmarks + AMDGPU-PRO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AMD will release their own because they want shared development effort and cross OS Api behaviour. RADV is a very good pressure for that to happen fast. That doesn't mean that other Gpus don't need Vulkan, like HD5-6 series and Nvidia with Nouveau.

Comment

Vulkan can't be shared across vendors ... also HD5/6 serie might only get Tulkan but not Vulkan

Comment

I'm not convinced even an open sourced AMD implementation would obsolete RADV. Outside of AMD, there is much more advantage to code sharing across vendors than code sharing across OS. I suspect it's more likely an open sourced "Vulkan PRO" would be used a development resource for RADV (licence permitting) than a replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by mibo View Post

Wrong.
          PRO is Ubuntu only and IIRC OpenCL was "reduced" to v1.2 because these PRO drivers are just betas...
          Unfortunately, the last Catalyst that could be adopted by many distributions hasn't seen an update for nearly a year.

TBH, I don't want a Catalyst. I'd rather see some OpenCL for the open source driver.
          There is *some* OpenCL for the open source driver. https://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/GalliumCompute/

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            Vulkan can't be shared across vendors ... also HD5/6 serie might only get Tulkan but not Vulkan
            Are you sure HD5/6 is unsupportable? Obviously somebody would have to do the work, probably starting with the amdgpu kernel driver. No doubt it isn't something AMD would want to be spending time on, since they want to sell new cards! ;-)

Comment

It is not about selling new chips always, as even Mantle was GCN only API is designed for new hardware, so what you expect there i dunno... Tulkan maybe, but Vulkan no

Comment

So two different drivers with varying performance levels, depending on the game. What we need is a fast driver switcher. Somehow have both AMDGPU-Pro and Mesa drivers installed at the same time and make a game launching script that restarts X with that driver enabled and then opens the game. This way each game can have the fastest driver for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Screech View Post

Let me help you with that: ((-10)+(-40))/2= -25....
                  Thank you for attempting to be helpful. However it was a 10% increase, hence a positive number...

Comment

Originally posted by s_j_newbury View Post

There is *some* OpenCL for the open source driver. https://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/GalliumCompute/
                    Thanks for the link.
                    The image support still seems to be missing (I want to use it for darktable and NeatImage).
                    libclc needs llvm 3.9 which I couldn't find easily for my OpenSuse 42.1 so, I couldn't try it out.

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post

Wrong, PRO is only supported on Ubuntu. As per almost everything else on linux you can probably find a way to get it onto your distro of choice, although some will support that most easilly than others (like Arch with their AUR for example)
                      As far as I could see, it works only for specific kernels. The next small kernel update can break it. AMD officially only offers a driver for ubuntu x86_64.
                      So, for me this is no replacement for the old binary drivers that just worked for me (OpenSuse) thanks to a niche un/installer from http://sebastian-siebert.de/

Comment

Working...
                      X