Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radeon Vulkan Driver Added To Mesa, Fresh Radeon Vulkan vs. OpenGL Benchmarks + AMDGPU-PRO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Veto View Post

You might want to find another book on arithmetic: (10-40)/2 = -15. So 15% slower on average. But the validity of averaging percentages is another discussion...
    Let me help you with that: ((-10)+(-40))/2= -25....

Comment

Just put a numbers in third increase/decrease variant:

So on RX 480 mesa is 12% faster in Dota, but is 39% slower in Talos On average, Mario's princess (shader cache and threaded GL) is in another castle

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

It's quite far out of sync with what's in portage, take a look at mine in the FireBurn overlay - you'll at least need to update yours to work with llvm-9999
        Where it's out of sync with the portage version it's only bug fixes and extra features like glvnd, properly working opencl-icd and eselect opencl etc. I do keep it up to date with changes. What's the problem with llvm-9999? I've not tried llvm-9999 for a while, I have bumped the requirement to llvm-3.9 as required by RADV.

Comment

Originally posted by s_j_newbury View Post

Where it's out of sync with the portage version it's only bug fixes and extra features like glvnd, properly working opencl-icd and eselect opencl etc. I do keep it up to date with changes. What's the problem with llvm-9999? I've not tried llvm-9999 for a while, I have bumped the requirement to llvm-3.9 as required by RADV.
          Missing support for llvm_targets_AMDGPU. Fixed. Thanks!

Comment

This seems had been stuck in moderation

Originally posted by mibo View Post
            Wrong.
            PRO is Ubuntu only and IIRC OpenCL was "reduced" to v1.2 because these PRO drivers are just betas...
            It is not Ubuntu only, there is one in SteamOS repos... also if you look closer there are some RHEL bits there. I think Bridgman said KCL will be improved to support more kernels.

OpenCL 2 is not reduced, but currently missing in action among other things.

Unfortunately, the last Catalyst that could be adopted by many distributions hasn't seen an update for nearly a year.
            Less then 10 months to be exact , altough Catalyst Pro was updated at the end of july but who cares you can patch both, it works with latest 4.8 kernel... it is only X bound, that is If you are not rolling and not on Polaris, that is still choice too

I think it is better to complain that even pro is not updated in more then 2 months, but i would expect one for Ubuntu 16.10 target

Comment

Originally posted by mibo View Post

Wrong.
              PRO is Ubuntu only
              Wrong, PRO is only supported on Ubuntu. As per almost everything else on linux you can probably find a way to get it onto your distro of choice, although some will support that most easilly than others (like Arch with their AUR for example)

Comment

Due to the success of RADV, there has been communication from John Bridgman and others that their focus may shift from working to open-source their proprietary driver to instead focus on helping with code contributions to areas of RADV where it needs to be improved... We heard this weeks ago but still haven't seen any major contributions by AMD to the RADV driver stack
                That's stronger than what I actually said... IIRC my comments were more along the lines of "it might make sense but..." followed by discussion of the downsides of doing that, eg losing our ability to share development effort with other APIs and OSes and being able to offer game developers the same behaviour across Windows and Linux.

If we decided to change plans we would make a much stronger statement than "it might make sense but...". Work is still proceeding on open sourcing our Vulkan implementation.
                Last edited by bridgman; 07 October 2016, 09:01 AM.
                Test signature

Comment

I would really prefer that AMD open sourced its more mature Vulcan drivers, instead of spending dev resources on 2 separate projects. I donĀ“t think the game developers wants to support two different drivers on a platform which only has 1-2% of the gaming market.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                    In other news I wonder who on earth (besides Michael) uses a 3840 x 2160 resolution for gaming. Are there 8k gamers out there? Multi-monitor-gamers? My max is still 1920 x 1200 and below (and the 1200 is because I love 16:10 or 4:3, some people also gotta do work on their boxes).
                    Actually, I do . They had a sale on 4k monitors on the local computer shop so bought one

I mostly game on Dota2, lortro (through wine), Stellaris and now Dawn of war 2. For those, my fury OC+ is enough

Comment

Originally posted by s_j_newbury View Post

They've changed from using the video flag for radon to having it's own set of flags for all the targets it supports, I'll take a look at your glnvd work if you're happy for me to integrate it, eselect definitely works with opencl on mine.

Comment

Working...
                      X