Here's An Ubuntu/Debian Kernel To Play With AMDGPU On GCN 1.0/1.1 GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's An Ubuntu/Debian Kernel To Play With AMDGPU On GCN 1.0/1.1 GPUs

Phoronix: Here's An Ubuntu/Debian Kernel To Play With AMDGPU On GCN 1.0/1.1 GPUs

If you have a GCN 1.0 Southern Islands or GCN 1.1 Sea Islands graphics card and have been wanting to play with the experimental AMDGPU kernel DRM driver as an alternative to the Radeon DRM driver, here's an opportunity for Ubuntu/Debian users...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cool post. I have a self-built "steam machine" with an HD7850 inside, so this should bring it back to life a bit. Can you provide a little more detail about enabling DRM-next? I kinda want to build my own kernel for the FUN of it.

Comment

So you can use amdgpu pro with this, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
        Doesn't AMDGPU Pro depend on a proprietary kernel module? I'm confused about this and these days I lack AMD hardware (sorry but GPU drivers sucked and these days are just starting to improve thanks to Mesa support, CPUs also lacked a lot power and let's see what's oingoing on Zen to get a desktop in the future).

Comment

The amdgpu pro drm kernel module ships with dkms.

Comment

Right... the kernel module is shipped in source code form, as a DKMS package.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
              The amdgpu pro drm kernel module ships with dkms.
              True. But you can also just use the amdgpu driver in recent kernels and use the rest of the user-space amdgpu-pro packages to get their proprietary OpenGL/OpenCL/Vulkan drivers. I've been using this for a few months now on my R7 260X (GCN gen 2) card and it's working pretty well.
              IIRC, all I had to do was edit the install script to not install the dkms package. Oh, and to recognise Debian.
              Also, you have to install their libdrm package because they've added a function that their drivers require.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                if you have amdgpu pro, you don't need this, you could use mesa with kernel from amdgpu pro

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                  Doesn't AMDGPU Pro depend on a proprietary kernel module?
                  on open kernel module with small soon to be upstreamed patch

Comment

heh
                    BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at 000000000000008
                    IP: [<ffffffffc072527f>] amdgpu_fence_wait_empty+0x1f/0x90 [amdgpu]

Comment

Working...
                    X