Regressed R9 290 Isn't Affected By Issue When Using AMDGPU DRM Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regressed R9 290 Isn't Affected By Issue When Using AMDGPU DRM Driver

Phoronix: Regressed R9 290 Isn't Affected By Issue When Using AMDGPU DRM Driver

Published earlier today was AMDGPU vs. Radeon DRM benchmarks on DRM-Next for GCN 1.0/1.1 graphics cards that have experimental support available via Kconfig switches to enable this alternative open-source DRM driver over the long-standing Radeon driver. Here are some fresh Git benchmarks using the R9 290 "Hawaii" GPU that's been in a regressed state on the default Radeon driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good to see some more progress on this particular configuration as I ended up with Ubuntu 16.04 and a R9 390 (which I thought would be beast) after I decided to finally drop the Windows7/cygwin mashup for developing.

The best I've got so far was on 4.8 something kernel and amdgpu manual config. The fps was SO much better, but then I ran into some black screen on boot problems and my boot sequence got buggered so I have to manually mount a disk to continue.

I'm no expert, that's for sure.... But I bought into the tinkering and have no regrets.

Went back to as stock as possible until its a bit more stable or I get eager to tinker some more.

Comment

I'm almost convinced enough to try AMDGPU now on my 290. The performance regression is the main reason I haven't switched yet and stayed on the 4.6 series kernel. With RADV soon being merged to Mesa it seems a good time to make the switch.

Comment

I wish I had realized that this was not previously being tested this way. Geez, I feel like I wasted time thinking about it at all previously.

Comment

All issues are automaticaly fixed, by switching to... _you name it_

Comment

And if all issues will be solved there will be nothing to complain for you. That's terrible news

Comment

This is great news! Thanks for taking the time to check this out, Michael.

Comment

If anyone wants this fixed in the radeon driver, run a git bisection. So far, no one has done so (except the people who got their problem fixed already).

Comment

Originally posted by frosth View Post
                  And if all issues will be solved there will be nothing to complain for you. That's terrible news
                  Thing is, issue is not fixed ... as recommended driver is still radeon and not experimental amdgpu for CIK, which means that users will still get shit by default

Comment

So there's probably a DPM issue in the radeon kernel driver.

Comment

Working...
                    X