No announcement yet.

AMDGPU vs. Radeon GCN 1.0/1.1 Performance On Linux 4.9 DRM-Next

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For ppl wanting to use/test Vulkan, use the branch radv-submit instead of semi-interesting. It seam to be in the process to be merged with Mesa.. And that branch have a 3-4 days old mesa instead of 2-3 month old mesa. Confirm that Nine is also back to working with that branch!

Comment

Looks like the Radeon Driver performs as good as or bettter in several benchmarks. Unfortunately, I need to use the AMD PRO driver to play two games on my R9-270
      1. ARK Survival Evolved
      2. Dying Light
      Anyone else able to get those two games working on the OSS Radeon drivers?

Comment

My recollection was that Dying Light checks for an OpenGL compatibility profile, however (a) I don't know what level it's looking for (pretty low AFAIK, maybe just 3.3) and (b) I don't know if it actually *needs* compatibility mode (deprecated extensions used alongside new-to-the-GL-level extension) or not.

A while back people were over-riding Mesa to report 3.3 compatibility mode and then the GL checks passed, but game still crashed which suggests it might actually *use* compatibility mode (boo). Haven't seen anyone try that recently though.

Not sure about ARK Survival Evolved - I think I remember hearing someone say it needed GL 4.5 but all the posts I found suggested GL 3.0 should be enough.
        Test signature

Comment

Where is 7850? A lot more people are using 7850's than 7950's.

Comment

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
            Where is 7850? A lot more people are using 7850's than 7950's.
            The 270X and 370 are pretty close - same Pitcairn die as 7850/7870, albeit with a couple of years of added fab process tweaks.
            Last edited by bridgman; 06 October 2016, 10:45 AM.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

The 270X and 370 are pretty close - same Pitcairn die as 7850/7870, albeit with a couple of years of added fab process tweaks.
              So what would I do to get it working in Arch?

Comment

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post
                The amdgpu kernel driver only supports HDMI/DP audio with DAL[...]
                Are you sure about that? I'm using this branch: agd5f's drm-next-4.9-wip (which has no DAL)
                Audio over HDMI is working fine for my HAWAII card (with amdgpu loaded of course).

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post

Are you sure about that? I'm using this branch: agd5f's drm-next-4.9-wip (which has no DAL)
                  Audio over HDMI is working fine for my HAWAII card (with amdgpu loaded of course).
                  Now that is interesting.
                  Did you do any magic?
                  I didn't try that branch though.

Comment

Hawaii is GCN 1.1 I believe, maybe that's why.

Comment

I did nothing special. Just enable the amdgpu driver in the kernel config, blacklist radeon and boot. But yeah it's a different generation than yours. Just wanted to say, that HDMI sounds seems to be possible without DAL in general.
                      Since I don't have any other generation, I can't tell you where it works and where not, sorry :-)

Comment

Working...
                      X