Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for upgrade! RX480?

Hi!
    I plan to get a Radeon RX480 for my main seat and move the HD 7970 I currently have to a second seat on the same computer.

I did not really follow news for the newer cards. Should I expect everything working at lease the same for what I use (mostly EVE Online with wine via the nine state tracker)?

Second question : should I expect some issue by mixing the cards on the same system?. It will have to run radeon and amdgpu in the same time and will use xorg ddx ati & amdgpu too. I think on the Mesa side, it's still radeonsi, right?

Note, that computer is running with XEN hypervisor too.

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    GTX 1060 is faster and cheaper than RX 480. If you do not find any tests using mixed graphics, it is your task to test what you plan to do. I have build computers for each user we have.
    It's not possible to mix blob and not-blob or blob and blob from two different vendor as Nvidia blob (and AMD blob) replace the libGL.so. Not possible as it will require me to buy two nvidia card if I want acceleration on both card for two user in the same tame.

Comment

missing edit button : except if the GTX 1060 work as good on nouveau (I expect opensource Vulkan soon too)

Comment

Tahiti still work better with radeon, it's what i'm currently using. amdgpu will support it properly soon but it's not the case yet (stability issue mostly, that *might* come from the radv enabled mesa too as nine does not work with that one).

I can run different kernel driver (radeon for the 7970 and amdgpu for the rx480). The main question what about support, to know if I should expect at least the same with the rx480 than the 7970 with the current opensource drivers (performance, stability, etc etc).

Note: I can't run with ANY blob as I need XEN. That remove all Nvidia that does not support reclocking on nouveau and nvidia blob / amdgpu-pro.

Comment

Also, Here, opensource drivers work faster than blob as my primary game I play is EVE Online, on wine. I get way more fps using the Nine state tracker and it suck less watt... Blob don't have nine so they suck more as the CPU is stuck to 100% and it's slower.

Comment

Csmt run at about the same as nine but use more watt (i have a old fx8120). And that is if they fixed it. I tried te use ut three month ago because of a temporary issue in eve that prevented me to use nine.

I will simply not compile si support in amdgpu, no need of blacklisting. When amdgpu support will be as good I will enable si and drop radeon.

I use Xen for a douzen of Linux vm.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
              Tahiti is supported by the amdgpu driver. With GCN 1.0 support enabled , test your current card with this:

Then you will have a clue about the (poor) driver quality.
              Tahiti is just starting to be supported by the amdgpu driver - the recommended driver today is radeon.

Test your current card with what debianxfce recommended if you want to help test new and in-development code; test with radeon if you want to understand driver quality.
              Test signature

Comment

Working...
              X