Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

amdgpu Southern Island/7970 support - Does it work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amdgpu Southern Island/7970 support - Does it work?

Hi folks,

does the current amdgpu-driver work with southern island? Since the graphics card would still be powerfull enough to max out allmost every single game on linux I'm thinking of getting a used one. Still one of the best deals for 100 €.

I found a github repo stating linux-amdgpu-si [0] which claims to work with southern islands. Does anyone have any experiences with that? Could the default (Arch Linux) amdgpu package being used or would I need to use an alternative one?

[0] https://github.com/ronsaldo/linux-amdgpu-si

Cheers,
    cRaZy

Initial support will be upstream in 4.9.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
      Just out of curiosity, do you back port it all to amd-staging?
      I've been building it and I've noticed the amdgpu SI kconfig settings in there.

Comment

@Mystro256: amd-staging-4.7 has already got support for SI newer than drm-next, even amd-staging-4.6 has initial bits for SI

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
          I've tried dave's drm-next branch and your amd-staging-4.7, but I get no audio with both.
          Is there something special to do to get HDMI audio with amdgpu on SI cards?
          (I've tried your staging branch in case DAL was necessary, but it didn't work any better.).

Comment

There's no hdmi-audio support yet. No matter which brand you've tried.

Comment

Right... I think you need to stay with radeon for now to get hdmi audio.
              Test signature

Comment

Thank you very much for your hard work and information! Is it possible to switch between radeon-si and amdgpu? E.g. feral ports seem not to work with amdgpu.

Comment

Switch...i'm not expert but the only way for switch kernel driver is reboot with blacklisting module i think.
                  And what do you mean by not work with amdgpu? nothing works or works but like a crap...?
                  Every feral port i have works for verde at last

if you have a problem consider fill a bug raport btw

Comment

Originally posted by frosth View Post
                    There's no hdmi-audio support yet. No matter which brand you've tried.
                    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    Right... I think you need to stay with radeon for now to get hdmi audio.

Oh I see :/

Thank you guys!

Comment

Working...
                    X