Some Fresh Linux 4.8 + Mesa 12.1-dev OpenGL Benchmarks For Radeon GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UbayGd View Post
    My Ubuntu 16.04 LTS is not 'out-of-the-box', but with xenial-proposed kernel (4.4.0-38-generic), Mesa 12.1 (oibaf PPA) and linux-firmware package from Yakkety (1.161) my RX470 works without problems, even HDMI audio works.

System details shows "Gallium 0.4 on AMD POLARIS10 (DRM 3.2.0 / 4.4.0-38-generic, LLVM 3.9.0)"

I wanted to use 4.8 kernel but I have no HDMI audio
    I would advise using kernel 4.7 or 4.8 with JUST the dkms from amdgpu-pro. It's open source, the code can be found embedded into this repo: https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/...md-staging-4.7, although I couldn't tell you want commit it was based on.

Or if you prefer, just build straight from that tree; I use Fedora, which doesn't have amdgpu-pro, and I use this kernel on my main computer with no problem (phoronix thread).

I'm pretty sure the AMD Linux team back-ports all the fixes that go into 4.8 and 4.9 back to this repo, which is then used as the basis for the pro dkms package.

Comment

Kinda wish the 290 was included. The regression issue needs as much exposure as it can get if it's ever to be fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreakon View Post
        Kinda wish the 290 was included. The regression issue needs as much exposure as it can get if it's ever to be fixed.
        As Michel commented there, either affected users should try this tiny mesa patch and/or bisect kernel:

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
          I would advise using kernel 4.7 or 4.8 with JUST the dkms from amdgpu-pro. It's open source, the code can be found embedded into this repo: https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/...md-staging-4.7, although I couldn't tell you want commit it was based on.
          That doesn't sound right... I believe that is the "upstream staging" tree which does not have all the commits from the hybrid driver. The DKMS package comes from a separate hybrid driver tree AFAIK.
          Test signature

Comment

It seems to me all affected users can't compile nothing or something... it looks like all this isn't opensource at all

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

As Michel commented there, either affected users should try this tiny mesa patch and/or bisect kernel:

I've personally tried a few of those patches, they resolved some of the regression, at the expense of massive screen tearing. You can mock the users all you want, it wouldn't be a Linux community without some snarky neckbeards, but it really is something AMD needs to fix.

Comment

I don't mocking anybody, that is how things works in opensource - if you have regression, you bisect it.

And why like that, because AMD probably support 700+ acics and when issue is asic specific or distro specific... it is much easier if user do it, particulary when developer can't reproduce an issue.

Comment

Don't forget the 8970M in a bunch of laptops is actually a 290X

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
                    In relation to this, does somebody here know how many R9 290 are running in Linux machines? bridgman
                    I don't think they spy on you to know numbers , but let say R9 290 is in area of high end graphics and high end represent something like 15% in whole GPU market... so maybe up to 10 out of 100 GCN 1.1 users has Hawaii, but it is probably much much less then that if we include GCN 1.1 APUs

Comment

And if we include all current asics avaliable in the market, then we are talking about percent or two... further, if we include whole radeon history it is much bellow 1%

Comment

Working...
                      X