Some Fresh Linux 4.8 + Mesa 12.1-dev OpenGL Benchmarks For Radeon GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Fresh Linux 4.8 + Mesa 12.1-dev OpenGL Benchmarks For Radeon GPUs

Phoronix: Some Fresh Linux 4.8 + Mesa 12.1-dev OpenGL Benchmarks For Radeon GPUs

For those craving some fresh Mesa Git benchmarks, here are a few OpenGL tests I carried out with some AMD Radeon GPUs when comparing the out-of-the-box Ubuntu 16.04 LTS performance to what's offered currently by Linux 4.8 and Mesa 12.1-dev Git...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think llvm is borked currently, so take results with a grain of salt

Comment

My Ubuntu 16.04 LTS is not 'out-of-the-box', but with xenial-proposed kernel (4.4.0-38-generic), Mesa 12.1 (oibaf PPA) and linux-firmware package from Yakkety (1.161) my RX470 works without problems, even HDMI audio works.

System details shows "Gallium 0.4 on AMD POLARIS10 (DRM 3.2.0 / 4.4.0-38-generic, LLVM 3.9.0)"

I wanted to use 4.8 kernel but I have no HDMI audio

Comment

Originally posted by UbayGd View Post
        My Ubuntu 16.04 LTS is not 'out-of-the-box', but with xenial-proposed kernel (4.4.0-38-generic), Mesa 12.1 (oibaf PPA) and linux-firmware package from Yakkety (1.161) my RX470 works without problems, even HDMI audio works.
        How is that possible? You need DAL for HDMI audio… right?

Comment

System details shows "Gallium 0.4 on AMD POLARIS10 (DRM 3.2.0 / 4.4.0-38-generic, LLVM 3.9.0)"

I wanted to use 4.8 kernel but I have no HDMI audio
          Did you use the amdgpu-pro kernel driver?

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post

How is that possible? You need DAL for HDMI audio… right?
            I dont know how, but the audio works. Using 4.6 and 4.8 from Canonical Kernel Team PPA for Yakkety, audio doesnt work.

Originally posted by JonathanM View Post

Did you use the amdgpu-pro kernel driver?
            I used it before, but now I only use Mesa 12.1

Comment

Kernel 4.7 or later is required for Polaris AFAIK... either you have no accel, or ubuntu backported amdgpu something or you have some amdgpu-pro leftover or...

Comment

I dont know how, but the audio works. Using 4.6 and 4.8 from Canonical Kernel Team PPA for Yakkety, audio doesnt work.
                I used it before, but now I only use Mesa 12.1
                To me it sounds like the kernel module is still installed as a normal 4.4 kernel doesn't support polaris and the amdgpu-pro dkms package can be used in combination with stock mesa (git/12.1) without problems.

Comment

Originally posted by JonathanM View Post

To me it sounds like the kernel module is still installed as a normal 4.4 kernel doesn't support polaris and the amdgpu-pro dkms package can be used in combination with stock mesa (git/12.1) without problems.
                  Code:
                  ubay@pc:~$ dkms status
                  aziokbd, 1.0.0, 4.4.0-38-generic, x86_64: installed
                  bbswitch, 0.8, 4.4.0-38-generic, x86_64: installed
                  virtualbox, 5.0.24, 4.4.0-38-generic, x86_64: installed
                  I'm sure that AMDGPU-PRO is properly uninstalled, with the command 'amdgpu-pro-uninstall'.

Comment

Better check logs, if amdgpu Polaris works with 4.4 kernel then probably Jupiter did the job

Comment

Working...
                    X