• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grigi
    started a topic RadeonSI and Unity performance

RadeonSI and Unity performance

Hi

So I'm using Mesa+LLVM Git on kernel 4.7.2 with radeon kernel module on a mobile Cape Verde (SI, 512su, 675Mhz, 1GB vram)(i7-3720QM, 16GB ram), and generally the experience is fantastic. Most games run the same as it used to on Catalyst, and some such as Shadow Warrior, Tomb Raider, The Raven and the Metro series run oh so noticeably better. :-)

But it seems some of my Unity games are noticeably slower than before.
    I used to be able to run War For The Overworld at full HD and good settings smoothly, whereas with RadeonSI it is quite jerky. Even lowest settings is not very smooth.
    The same can be said for Dreamfall Chapters, it is completely unplayable slow, until I disable shadows. Then the frame rate is practically smooth?

Does anyone have any hints for me to get performance better on Unity games? Any debug info I can provide?

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    Heh, with wine staging TR2013 runs faster than ported version.
    That probably depends on a card

Leave a comment:

• frosth
    replied
    Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Use win10 if you are interested more fps with amd gpus. Probably dual graphics works also better. Or build a gaming pc with Nvidia gpu card, if you are interested to play with Linux and with good fps.
    Yes I do, I really like win10 (close enought to gnome3 )
    No one talking about low fps, no one complain here. Dual gfx works good enought with radeon (official driver for SI/CIK)

this film wine>native ... it's not clear what preset is in use.
    probably in native tess is on etc.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Yeah fps is good on nVidia on fast enough card ... but in comparison to Windows again nope

Leave a comment:

• grigi
    replied
    No, compiling manually is not the issue, I don't want to potentially lose a day of productivity before shipping the project. Like to keep my work-life low stress.
    I have been running manually built kernels for close on 11 years now.

Leave a comment:

• frosth
    replied
    In 3 weeks it'll be 4.9-rc1 i think, for archlinux even CIK isn't enable yet, so i have to compile kernel myself. Probably you won't avoid this step

Leave a comment:

• grigi
    replied
    frosth Thanks. So performance difference is a wash right now. I'll seriously have a look at it in 3 weeks.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by frosth View Post
    CIK is supported over year...
    If not even 2 years in house, as first amdgpu bring up was on CIK

Leave a comment:

• frosth
    replied
    grigi
    this is my numbers:
    http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...LO-TEST0022750
    I don't have any unity games so I don't know how it works, but don't expect too much.

debianxfce
    What do you try to say?
    CIK is supported over year, SI has working dpm since 2 weeks. It's not comparable. If I run my haswell as primary gfx and verde as secondary (like laptops do) it just doesn't work. Better use the livecd with SI support for try. it's easy and safe. And DAL has nothing to offer for SI by now.

Leave a comment:

• frosth
    replied
    debianxfce do you have si gfx?, amd-staging-4.6, amd-staging-4.7, drm-next-4.9 and drm-next-4.9-wip are very close for SI support, and the last one is most update. If you have SI card and Intel gfx try it, but this setup with enabled igpu doesn't work for me.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X