AMDGPU Southern Islands Support Added To Mesa's DRM Library

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    Well profiles control many things, it will not be like if you run full blob package.
    The ways of driver profiles are infinite.

The driver profiles's benevolence will fill us of happyness.

Really, OpenCL has driver profiles? Yes/no/dunno?

Comment

Yes, it has of course... blender CL runs on profile for example

Comment

Originally posted by illwieckz View Post

I know AMD is looking to open source the OpenCL component within the next year (they said the same for Vulkan and some people already stopped to wait) but I need OpenCL right now. I'm processing photos with Darktable and people don't want to wait some years to get their photos. So I use the AMDGPU-PRO blob, so I get crashes on other tasks like playing some games to entertain me after hard work.

I tried, I got:

Code:
        amdgpu_device_initialize: DRM version is 2.45.0 but this driver is only compatible with 3.x.x.
        Then a segfault.

Perhaps I'm missing something, I'm on Ubuntu 16.04.1 with linux 4.7.2.

I can get my setup to work (amdgpu-pro OpenGL), I can get my setup to play (amdgpu-all-open OpenGL), I can't get yet my setup to both work and play.

(And if a nVidia-fanboy comes along, and please do not suggest nVidia, I have one of their GPU on another computer and I have some worst problems like not being able to plug an external monitor, so even buggy drivers from AMD works better than nVidia buggy drivers, I need a display after all).
        you have some problem in your system, it seems you are loading an old libdrm or you are loading the wrong kernel module (Radeon instead of AMDGPU) since i get that error only in GCN 1.0/1.1 cards but i maybe wrong here. which GPU you have?

Comment

Yes, it has of course... blender CL runs on profile for example
          Basically AMD blob do all customisations via profiles, in whatever area needed... sort of like mesa drirc + any env varibile or so - any customization is called profile there

Comment

Basically AMD blob do all customisations via profiles, in whatever area needed... sort of like mesa drirc + any env varibile or so - any customization is called profile there
            It is a bit more involved than that. Profiles are more powerful than what we can use.

Comment

Does anybody know, where is the DAL code resides? I'm just curious to look at it, what changes been made from the initial release, how much it's been reduced since then (I remember from reading the mailing list, there was a bunch of unnecessary code)... Sort of a fun for morning tea.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
                Does anybody know, where is the DAL code resides? I'm just curious to look at it, what changes been made from the initial release, how much it's been reduced since then (I remember from reading the mailing list, there was a bunch of unnecessary code)... Sort of a fun for morning tea.
                Here, i would say:

Comment

I know AMD is looking to open source the OpenCL component within the next year (they said the same for Vulkan and some people already stopped to wait) but I need OpenCL right now. I'm processing photos with Darktable and people don't want to wait some years to get their photos. So I use the AMDGPU-PRO blob, so I get crashes on other tasks like playing some games to entertain me after hard work.

I tried, I got:

Code:
                  amdgpu_device_initialize: DRM version is 2.45.0 but this driver is only compatible with 3.x.x.
                  Then a segfault.

Perhaps I'm missing something, I'm on Ubuntu 16.04.1 with linux 4.7.2.

I can get my setup to work (amdgpu-pro OpenGL), I can get my setup to play (amdgpu-all-open OpenGL), I can't get yet my setup to both work and play.

(And if a nVidia-fanboy comes along, and please do not suggest nVidia, I have one of their GPU on another computer and I have some worst problems like not being able to plug an external monitor, so even buggy drivers from AMD works better than nVidia buggy drivers, I need a display after all).
                  To be honest, I didn't read everything you typed in detail, but perhaps you could write a (very) simple script which (i) switches from AMDGPU to AMDGPU-PRO, (ii) launches darktables, (iii) switches from AMDGPU-PRO to AMDGPU (as soon as darktables is closed) (since, apparently, one of the benefits of AMDGPU/AMDGPU-PRO is that the proprietary part can be turned on or off at runtime), and you could put that script's location in the PATH environment variable, such that a simple terminal command does all that for you, without annoying you with the details.

Comment

Fair enough, I assume Clover doesn't suffice? I'm not familiar with it tbh, plus I think it's only opencl 1.2.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
                      Or more specifically...

Comment

Working...
                      X