Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU Southern Islands Support Added To Mesa's DRM Library

Phoronix: AMDGPU Southern Islands Support Added To Mesa's DRM Library

Following the AMDGPU SI / GCN 1.0 support hitting Mesa, the libdrm changes for AMD Southern Islands support has also landed...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Support-Libdrm

work with the AMDGPU-PRO driver stack if wanting to use that proprietary OpenCL/OpenGL code
    All I want is Mesa OpenGL + AMDGPU-PRO OpenCL, I hope it will be possible one day. It's just so bad I have to endure all these AMDGPU-PRO OpenGL bugs just because I need an OpenCL compute unit. If someone knowns a way to use the AMDGPU-PRO CL stuff without the AMDGPU-PRO GL stuff letting Mesa doing the display part, please raise an hand !

I know how to install AMDGPU-PRO OpenCL compute without installing the GL part, but I still need a display.

Comment

Originally posted by illwieckz View Post

All I want is Mesa OpenGL + AMDGPU-PRO OpenCL,
      There is no problem to use mesa + amdgpu-pro opencl
      http://www.gearsongallium.com/?p=2960

Comment

Originally posted by Pontostroy View Post
        There is no problem to use mesa + amdgpu-pro opencl
        Thank you! Nice hack! This is not what I call “there is no problem” since it needs binary rewriting, so this binary rewriting is just a way to fix problems. ;-)

So, it's just “problem fixable”, and this is already good.

Comment

Originally posted by illwieckz View Post

Thank you! Nice hack! This is not what I call “there is no problem” since it needs binary rewriting, so this binary rewriting is just a way to fix problems. ;-)

So, it's just “problem fixable”, and this is already good.
          Fortunately AMD is looking to open sourcing the openCL components within the next year-ish

Comment

LEGO likely does not work right, as it misses profiles too.

I would say "sort of running" rather that there is "no problem"

Comment

Maybe we should introduce third amdgpu-lego driver with bugzilla for that

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                LEGO likely does not work right, as it misses profiles too.

I would say "sort of running" rather that there is "no problem"
                Who cares of profiles if he wants to use only the OpenCL part from closed blob?

Comment

Well profiles control many things, it will not be like if you run full blob package.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
                    Fortunately AMD is looking to open sourcing the openCL components within the next year-ish
                    I know AMD is looking to open source the OpenCL component within the next year (they said the same for Vulkan and some people already stopped to wait) but I need OpenCL right now. I'm processing photos with Darktable and people don't want to wait some years to get their photos. So I use the AMDGPU-PRO blob, so I get crashes on other tasks like playing some games to entertain me after hard work.

Originally posted by Pontostroy View Post
                    I tried, I got:

Code:
                    amdgpu_device_initialize: DRM version is 2.45.0 but this driver is only compatible with 3.x.x.
                    Then a segfault.

Perhaps I'm missing something, I'm on Ubuntu 16.04.1 with linux 4.7.2.

I can get my setup to work (amdgpu-pro OpenGL), I can get my setup to play (amdgpu-all-open OpenGL), I can't get yet my setup to both work and play.

(And if a nVidia-fanboy comes along, and please do not suggest nVidia, I have one of their GPU on another computer and I have some worst problems like not being able to plug an external monitor, so even buggy drivers from AMD works better than nVidia buggy drivers, I need a display after all).

Comment

Working...
                    X