Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMDGPU-PRO vs. Open-Source Gallium3D OpenGL Performance On Polaris Is A Very Tight Race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    closed-source part is developed by windows driver team, mesa is of no use for them
    Actually looking at the mailing lists and patches we see that authors is more people then the ones i think is in AMD open source graphics team.
    That makes me sure that more and more of the close source team is contributing to the open source driver and this is also what AMD said will happen.
    Maybe the open source graphics team has grown enormous but i think it's different AMD developers that contributes to open-source every now and then.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
      Actually looking at the mailing lists and patches we see that authors is more people then the ones i think is in AMD open source graphics team.
      That makes me sure that more and more of the close source team is contributing to the open source driver and this is also what AMD said will happen.
      Maybe the open source graphics team has grown enormous but i think it's different AMD developers that contributes to open-source every now and then.
      A lot of people who used to work on the closed source kernel and X drivers are now working on amdgpu kernel and X drivers instead. The GL teams are still largely independent, but there is some "growing together" on the OpenCL side as we work on opening up the CL userspace driver.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium

if mesa surpasses the closed driver in every test they will port the mesa driver to windows.
        Not unless the Mesa driver suddenly gains DX11/12 support, they won't. Nobody is going to throw away the windows driver and millions of dollars of development just because it's a bit slower at OpenGL.

And before you mention it, a frankenstein driver that uses the existing DX driver + Mesa for GL only isn't going to happen either. It would require way more work to maintain, and nobody would care about it.

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
          But just now I noticed that the GTT usage drops a little bit, so I suspect something inefficient somewhere in the memory management. First thought is of course https://lists.freedesktop.org/archiv...st/001360.html but there can be no memory pressure on my 8 gigabyte rx 480...
          Since the "GTT requested" graph is affected the same way, the change in GTT usage is due to the game itself or the radeonsi driver, not due to migration or anything else in the kernel driver. (The "bytes moved" graph would show any buffer migration performed by the kernel driver)

Comment

MrCooper

Do you know what happened with fdo, it seems does not work today?

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              The GL teams are still largely independent...
              That "largely" is why pro will continue to live and i can continue to recommend both drivers in a "pick your poison" way

Comment

BTW, as nVidia does not give a damn about opensource and Intel has largely different teams for linux/windows there again one opensource and one not... i don't even expect AMD's largely to became much less largely

Comment

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post
                  Since the "GTT requested" graph is affected the same way, the change in GTT usage is due to the game itself or the radeonsi driver, not due to migration or anything else in the kernel driver. (The "bytes moved" graph would show any buffer migration performed by the kernel driver)
                  Well, it could still be accidentally expensive checks when freeing some memory or something like that, but that is for people who know the code to decide.

I'd like to think that it's rather the game's fault, but wouldn't more people complain about it when it's the second most played game on steam?

Comment

haagch

Better people or you to comment does issue happen if they use other drivers or even different OS... if they have those down to zero fps sometimes, then you should know it is not driver or unsommon issue.

It can be engine as source is known for stuttering... btw does that happen only on some particular maps or in all? I don't play that really, but often you can find that one map is fine if simple and more large ones made problem.

Comment

It happens on several maps. Not sure if it's all of them. But the maps in arms race mode are 5v5 maps and the normal mode ones are much bigger, so if that was the case it would be even worse there.

Comment

Working...
                      X