Southern Islands AMDGPU Support Almost Ready To Roll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People, this is a horrible thread.

Instead of explaining everything, please just say to everyone: AMD GPU hardware support can't be dropped ever since AMD put their kernel part of the driver into the Linux kernel (read: Linus Torvald's repository). There is no way to drop support from that now.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
      People, this is a horrible thread.

Instead of explaining everything, please just say to everyone: AMD GPU hardware support can't be dropped ever since AMD put their kernel part of the driver into the Linux kernel (read: Linus Torvald's repository). There is no way to drop support from that now.

Thanks.
      Yeah, we've really done a number to a piece of great news.

Thanks Marek (And Ronie Salgado) for working on this. My newest card at home is a Pitcairn (7850 1GB), and I'll be eagerly awaiting the new software that this move will eventually enable (radv/vulkan), never mind that I'll probably be able to switch between PRO/clover just by swapping some libraries and directories around in my path when doing libclc development.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        Still nitpicking, still 0 useful info. Please go away.
        I've read your posts and I have to say: You are such a jerk..

And if you don't like what someone is saying, you go away. You have no right to send someone away. This is not your forum and you are not moderating it. Stop being a jerk and stop acting like an idiot.

Comment

I hate to derail this thread by talking about Southern Islands AMDGPU support, but agd5f has squashed Marek's fix into the drm-next-4.9-si tree and I believe he fixed the cursor issue as well:

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/...rm-next-4.9-si
          Last edited by bridgman; 19 August 2016, 09:48 PM.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by arakan94 View Post
            And if you don't like what someone is saying, you go away.
            You have no right to send someone away. This is not your forum and you are not moderating it. Stop being a jerk and stop acting like an idiot.

You managed to write a rebuttal to your own post, in the same post. We have a badass over here.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              You have no right to send someone away. This is not your forum and you are not moderating it. Stop being a jerk and stop acting like an idiot.

You managed to write a rebuttal to your own post, in the same post. We have a badass over here.
              Only I did NOT send you away nor demanded that you leave because you are jerk. I merely suggested what you can do when someone bothers you - while you have no right to demand that he leaves, you can leave. You'd be happy that you don't have to read his posts and quality of discussion in this thread would rise making a lot of people here happy.

Comment

Originally posted by arakan94 View Post
                Only I did NOT send you away nor demanded that you leave because you are jerk.
                I merely suggested[/QUOTE]You have no right to send someone away. This is not your forum and you are not moderating it. Stop being a jerk and stop acting like an idiot.

Comment

Guess I shouldn't have worried about derailing the thread
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

Yeah, I think you raised an interesting point, even if you completely botched the terminology and confused people.

In the old model, ATI/AMD would drop blob support in a certain version of Catalyst (Linux and Windows). On Linux, you could continue to use the last version of Catalyst to support your card, but it killed your ability to move to a newer kernel/X/distro. On Windows, you could continue using the last version of Catalyst to support your card a lot longer because you didn't have to worry so much about frequent kernel/X updates breaking compatibility with older drivers.

So what can we expect with the new hybrid model in terms of being able to use an older blob version now that kernel updates are not an issue? Will AMD update their older userspace blob drivers to support newer X versions (and is that even necessary)? If they do that (or if it's unnecessary), then blob support will be very similar to Nvidia's model where they branch off older cards but continue to update the drivers just enough to allow you to use them on newer systems.
                    Theoretically, it should be even better. Since AMDGPU is completely userspace they won't have to update the blob AT ALL and it will still work. That is the beauty of AMDGPU.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Hmm... not sure where that info came from but it is absolutely not correct. The AMDGPU PRO package includes both userspace and kernel drivers.

There may be cases where some or all of the userspace drivers can be fully functional on upstream kernel drivers, and this will become more likely as more of the userspace components get opened up, but the primary deployment & usage model for now is "full stack, user & kernel drivers".
                      So do you figure we will see the PRO userspace supported by the completely open kernelspace, or is that just more of a "we will wait and see?" I'd really like to see that and have an environment variable so I could switch between RadeonSI and the blob on the fly. Thanks for injecting some sense into this nonsensical thread. I'm running on GCN 1.4 so I'm not very worried right now, especially with how the open source userspace is looking, but it would be nice to see Vulkan and OpenCL continue working far into the future.

Comment

Working...
                      X