Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
    No!
    You wrote about the open source AMDGPU driver dropping support.
    Please read your own posts.
    AMD makes AMDGPU, not Mesa. So it stands that their development model with AMDGPU = FGLRX. Sorry if that was not clear.

Comment

Ironically, the decision a while back to support GCN 1.0 cards on amdgpu was one of the many reasons that I eventually (yet again) chose AMD for my next upgrade (R9 Fury). Even so, I'm still very exited to hear that support is coming along nicely. Two thumbs up!

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post

I was talking about the closed AMD driver dropping support and whether the AMD made AMDPRO would do so also. Maintenance is expensive, and AMD has dropped support in the past.
        amdgpu will be supporting all the GCN cards once it's finished (around late 2011 to present). Then I can assume they will be dropping official support of the previous cards (i.e. r600 and similar), if they haven't done so already. GCN will likely be supported until the successor comes out and a new driver emerges.

Comment

Again, why no edit button?

IE: My 2006 to 2009 horror story is bound to happen again (if patterns follow), unless mesa forks AMDPRO to continue support AFTER amd drops support in a few years.

Make me sad that I have to hand feed you people, and that I can't expect you to make a simple connection on your own.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

amdgpu will be supporting all the GCN cards once it's finished (around late 2011 to present). Then I can assume they will be dropping official support of the previous cards (i.e. r600 and similar), if they haven't done so already. GCN will likely be supported until the successor comes out and a new driver emerges.
            Correction, sed -i "s/support/official support/g"
            i.e. from AMD's development team, not just the community.

Comment

According to history of dropping fglrx, as in years 2006., 2009., 2012. and 2015. , next will be in 2018. for GCN 1.0 and 1.1 likely

Comment

Again, why no edit button?

IE: My 2006 to 2009 horror story is bound to happen again (if patterns follow), unless mesa forks AMDPRO to continue support AFTER amd drops support in a few years.

Make me sad that I have to hand feed you people, and that I can't expect you to make a simple connection on your own.
                I don't think you understand, amdgpu is an open source kernel driver used both by mesa's radeonsi and AMDGPU-PRO. "AMDPRO" won't be forked because it's not open source... mesa will just continue on with the radeonsi stack.

I.e. Mesa = amdgpu + radeonsi, AMDGPU-PRO = amdgpu + fglrx

Comment

AMD makes AMDGPU, not Mesa. So it stands that their development model with AMDGPU = FGLRX. Sorry if that was not clear.
                  AMDGPU is open source.
                  FGLRX was closed source.
                  So AMDGPU != FGLRX.
                  Sorry, you made it on my ignore list.

Comment

Actually this SI was already practiacly dropped as of 15.12, but with this seems will start reviving from death

Comment

Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
                      AMDGPU is open source.
                      FGLRX was closed source.
                      So AMDGPU != FGLRX.
                      Sorry, you made it on my ignore list.
                      Well AMDGPU-PRO is actually based on FGLRX userspace, so I would probably add AMDGPU-PRO ~= FGLRX

AMDGPU-PRO is more like amdgpu+ FGLRX based on what I've read, hense why it's call the "hybrid driver", hybrid of the amdgpu opensource module and the old closed source userspace.

Comment

Working...
                      X