No announcement yet.

RadeonSI Performance Improvement For DRI PRIME Offloading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isn't this technically the same thing as Crossfire, except a lot more versatile? If so, this is pretty amazing. Makes APUs much more appealing.

Comment

Right. Crossfire/SLI lets you split the rendering work from a single app across multiple GPUs, while Prime is about rendering on one GPU and displaying on another.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        Right. Crossfire/SLI lets you split the rendering work from a single app across multiple GPUs, while Prime is about rendering on one GPU and displaying on another.
        wouldn't it be theoretically possible to use the PRIME to implement very basic crossfire ( ie 1 frame per GPU)? I guess it wouldn't be worth it though...

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
          ... My Tonga+Bonaire setup was only used to simulate that configuration.
          I have an AMD A10-7850K APU and a Bonaire XTX [Radeon R7 260X] graphic card. Currently my monitor (with DVI) is connected to my graphic card an hence I'm not using the graphics of the APU at all.

Would it be possible - for energy saving measures to:
          - connect the monitor to my motherboard and
          - use the APU for all DE related rendering (browsing, office applications, etc) and
          - use the graphic card only for games
          ?

Comment

Yes it is possible, I tried it in my dual card setup and it works

Comment

Originally posted by faph View Post

I have an AMD A10-7850K APU and a Bonaire XTX [Radeon R7 260X] graphic card. Currently my monitor (with DVI) is connected to my graphic card an hence I'm not using the graphics of the APU at all.

Would it be possible - for energy saving measures to:
              - connect the monitor to my motherboard and
              - use the APU for all DE related rendering (browsing, office applications, etc) and
              - use the graphic card only for games
              ?
              I don't know. I've never tested such a configuration. Make sure that the GPU in the APU is enabled in the BIOS.

Comment

Originally posted by kbios View Post
                Yes it is possible, I tried it in my dual card setup and it works
                Can you share some details about your setup, also like xorg.confs?

Because I checked the archwiki on PRIME and the first thing they do is "xrandr --listproviders", but I got only 1 here... :-/

Comment

I'm afraid in my case it "just worked", without any special configuration. However, that was before runtime power management was implemented, I've heard that it can interfere by powering down the discrete card since it has no outputs attached. You could try disabling it maybe?

Comment

runpm should not interfere in anyway with X and prime support. In fact, the dedicated GPU should power on briefly whenever you start or quit X or switch from X to a tty or from a tty to X.

In my experience xorg.conf and xorg.conf.d/* configuration files mostly interfere with the auto configuration and more often than not result in only one GPU being visible from X. I'd recommend removing any such files that have a Device section and trying again.

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
                      In my experience xorg.conf and xorg.conf.d/* configuration files mostly interfere with the auto configuration and more often than not result in only one GPU being visible from X. I'd recommend removing any such files that have a Device section and trying again.
                      Ah, I see - yes I got one such file, for the "TearFree" option.
                      Does this mean I have to abstain from that option for PRIME or only for the initial setup?

Comment

Working...
                      X