Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadeonSI Performance Improvement For DRI PRIME Offloading

Phoronix: RadeonSI Performance Improvement For DRI PRIME Offloading

Marek Olšák has managed to secure another performance win with his continued efforts to improve the RadeonSI Gallium3D driver performance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As a Hybrid GPU Laptop with VI GPU owner, I welcome this! Now, powerplay is everything that remains. Without it, the card remains on low frequencies, which makes it inferior even to dedicated Intel HD 520.

Comment

BTW, the improvement is mainly for dual-GPU laptops that use the APU/IGP for desktop and a dedicated GPU for gaming but the latter can't directly display anything on the LCD panel. My Tonga+Bonaire setup was only used to simulate that configuration.

Comment

keep in mind glxgears is not a benchmark.

I've been using the dma engine for the same purpose on my laptop with SI, and basically the performance is just 1-2 fps for normal games around 60 fps.

Comment

Also known as Enduro (prev: PowerXpress).

Comment

Very nice

Comment

Would this apply to an Intel iGPU + AMD dGPU? It doesn't apply to me as I have an Oland card but still curious to know if this is AMD specific.

On another note, I would be happy if frequency scaling would actually work with my discrete card, right now when I try to use PRIME the gpu hangs for anything more demanding than glxgears

Comment

Originally posted by R00KIE View Post
                Would this apply to an Intel iGPU + AMD dGPU? It doesn't apply to me as I have an Oland card but still curious to know if this is AMD specific.

On another note, I would be happy if frequency scaling would actually work with my discrete card, right now when I try to use PRIME the gpu hangs for anything more demanding than glxgears
                It applies to any setup that has muxless, outputless AMD discrete GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
                  BTW, the improvement is mainly for dual-GPU laptops that use the APU/IGP for desktop and a dedicated GPU for gaming but the latter can't directly display anything on the LCD panel. My Tonga+Bonaire setup was only used to simulate that configuration.
                  Does the "SI will get this once we add SDMA blit support for it" refer to Southern Islands since Bonaire (Sea Islands) is CIK.
                  I got the impression reading this article that SI can't support this.

Comment

What about my 8670m and my 8850m. Is there an equivalent for SI (GCN1)?

Comment

Working...
                    X