Open-Source AMD Polaris Audio Support Isn't Coming Until DAL Lands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by holunder View Post
    BTW, tried today to compile the amd-staging-4.6 branch. It was a disaster. Lots of compiler errors and I even failed to compile the kernel with the hacky patch from here: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=97258
    Compiled OK for me - but then it could be compiler version.

In case you didn't - make menuconfig / whatever go to drivers -> graphics support -> display engine configuration and say "y" to everything.

I also say Y to audio co-processor above that.

Gets me working HDMI sound on R9285 (though there's still an alsa bug that needs cpu load to work OK, pulse avoids this).

FWIW on my card the normal kernels partially work (or worked I haven't tried for a while) for me, my tv fails but my monitor is OK.

Comment

Originally posted by holunder View Post
      Actually, this is broken on radeonsi since at least Linux 3.19. YES, 3.18 was the last kernel which got me working HDMI audio (Radeon HD 7770, later R9 380 with AMDGPU, same problem). It is super, ultra 'annoying'. Months before the problems started, I just bought a new HDMI receiver for my expensive 5.1 PC setup. I'm using S/PDIF ever since, which only supports lossless stereo. Have to reboot to Windows to use the damn 5.1 setup. This situation is even worse considering that my whole movie archive is on Linux partitions on XFS and btrfs for which there aren't any Windows drivers. In my desperation I even installed a second distribution using the proprietary Catalyst driver – couldn't use Catalyst because of the problems with Firefox' OMTC which I don't want to miss and various other desktop issues, radeon(si) was much better. Don't wanted to buy any Nvidia hardware, but seriously AMD, this audio situation for at last 1,5 years with the free drivers is outrageous disappointing!
      Under Fedora 23 with my Radeon 6670 I had the issue of no ability to output 5.1 over HDMI. There wasn't even an option in the sound settings for 5.1 output only HDMI stereo. I just installed Arch on that machine and with zero tweaking on my part, I have the full range of HDMI output options. I haven't yet plugged it into a receiver to test the multichannel output, but I'm guessing it will work since the options weren't even there previously.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        this unapproved post feature is starting to be VERY VERY VERY annoying.
        Multiple copies of the same post are also annoying. Unless any of your posts have not showed up even after a while, I suggest relaxing a little.

Comment

bug77 I answered you here https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...077#post890077
          but vbullettin blocked me and I couldn't override it (as you can see from the 10-ish posts after it).

Comment

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post
            Multiple copies of the same post are also annoying. Unless any of your posts have not showed up even after a while, I suggest relaxing a little.
            Sorry for that, will resort to PMs next time, I promise.

Comment

Hey, I got it compiled but it won't boot. :/ See my report here: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=97258#c10 – There is also an attached picture of my monitor showing eight Tuxes and some bootlog without clear error. Does anyone have an idea?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                bug77 I answered you here https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...077#post890077
                but vbullettin blocked me and I couldn't override it (as you can see from the 10-ish posts after it).
                Thanks, that makes sense, but I still don't know why it's so hard. Ok, it's not a straightforward multiplexing, it needs synchronization, but you'd think if you did it once, it can easily be ported to new hardware...

Comment

Working...
                X