Open-Source AMD Polaris Audio Support Isn't Coming Until DAL Lands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source AMD Polaris Audio Support Isn't Coming Until DAL Lands

Phoronix: Open-Source AMD Polaris Audio Support Isn't Coming Until DAL Lands

Just as a quick word of warning, the open-source AMD Linux driver stack won't be supporting HDMI/DP audio with the new Radeon RX 460/470/480 "Polaris" graphics cards until its massive DAL code-base is merged...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's ok, I'm still waiting for Vega.

Comment

I was thinking about an April fool but we are in August... no HDMI audio is a no go for me.

Comment

Actually, this is broken on radeonsi since at least Linux 3.19. YES, 3.18 was the last kernel which got me working HDMI audio (Radeon HD 7770, later R9 380 with AMDGPU, same problem). It is super, ultra 'annoying'. Months before the problems started, I just bought a new HDMI receiver for my expensive 5.1 PC setup. I'm using S/PDIF ever since, which only supports lossless stereo. Have to reboot to Windows to use the damn 5.1 setup. This situation is even worse considering that my whole movie archive is on Linux partitions on XFS and btrfs for which there aren't any Windows drivers. In my desperation I even installed a second distribution using the proprietary Catalyst driver – couldn't use Catalyst because of the problems with Firefox' OMTC which I don't want to miss and various other desktop issues, radeon(si) was much better. Don't wanted to buy any Nvidia hardware, but seriously AMD, this audio situation for at last 1,5 years with the free drivers is outrageous disappointing!

Comment

I built the kernel for fedora 24 if anyone is interested. I also included the 4.6.5 patches and fedora's line of patches too:

If anyone is interested, I compiled the amd-staging-4.9 (https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/linux/log/?h=amd-staging-4.9) kernel for Fedora 25 and added all the

Comment

In the mailing list, which is the current status of DAL merge, or which is the last talk about it?
            bridgman

Comment

Originally posted by holunder View Post
              Actually, this is broken on radeonsi since at least Linux 3.19. YES, 3.18 was the last kernel which got me working HDMI audio (Radeon HD 7770, later R9 380 with AMDGPU, same problem). It is super, ultra 'annoying'. Months before the problems started, I just bought a new HDMI receiver for my expensive 5.1 PC setup. I'm using S/PDIF ever since, which only supports lossless stereo. Have to reboot to Windows to use the damn 5.1 setup. This situation is even worse considering that my whole movie archive is on Linux partitions on XFS and btrfs for which there aren't any Windows drivers. In my desperation I even installed a second distribution using the proprietary Catalyst driver – couldn't use Catalyst because of the problems with Firefox' OMTC which I don't want to miss and various other desktop issues, radeon(si) was much better. Don't wanted to buy any Nvidia hardware, but seriously AMD, this audio situation for at last 1,5 years with the free drivers is outrageous disappointing!
              Fortunately I think that will be remedied with the new unified kernel driver (AMDGPU), unfortunately cards older than SI won't get any love and the merge process is a little slow.

Comment

fedora updates kernels continuously, f25 will have 4.9 and later

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  fedora updates kernels continuously, f25 will have 4.9 and later
                  Indeed, but for now I made due and compiled the staging stuff in copr, hopefully DAL can be merged and put into fedora 25 before fedora 24 hits end of life.

Comment

Can't we manually patch in DAL? Are there any performance boosts from it?

Comment

Working...
                    X