No announcement yet.

amd-staging-4.6 for Fedora 24 (AMDGPU)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just hit a power management with 4.9.23-20170413.amd.fc25. Suspend will take a while forcing to hard reset. Awaiting for the next update to see if that solves the issue.

Comment

• Hey, Mystro256 -

Just bought an RX460 and came across the annoying fact that HDMI audio doesn't work. Came across your Copr. So I'm curious - if I only do the Kernel Copr should it work? Do I also need to use the polaris-gfx repo? I'm trying to stay the most vanilla I can while getting audio to work. If I'm playing some games on this same computer - do I need polaris-gfx and xorg-amdgpu to get the most out of the card? If I stay with the open source drives, how much of a hit do I take?

Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by finalzone View Post
        I just hit a power management with 4.9.23-20170413.amd.fc25. Suspend will take a while forcing to hard reset. Awaiting for the next update to see if that solves the issue.
        What card are you using? The AMD hybrid laptop? Also which kernel works for you? 4.9.21-20170410.amd? There's been a bunch of fixes over the last 2 weeks, so it's hard to say if your card will be fixed. Unfortunately I only personally have access to Polaris cards (i.e. the RX400's and 500's), so you will need to report issues with other cards to the bugzilla.

Originally posted by djotaku View Post
        Hey, Mystro256 -

Just bought an RX460 and came across the annoying fact that HDMI audio doesn't work. Came across your Copr. So I'm curious - if I only do the Kernel Copr should it work? Do I also need to use the polaris-gfx repo? I'm trying to stay the most vanilla I can while getting audio to work. If I'm playing some games on this same computer - do I need polaris-gfx and xorg-amdgpu to get the most out of the card? If I stay with the open source drives, how much of a hit do I take?

Thanks!
        Yes only the kernel is necessary. The polaris-gfx used to be required, but now it's just a mesa 17.0 backport repo. I plan to retire it once F26 is out and is completely optional for f25. If you want to remain as vanilla as possible, just switching out the kernel should be sufficient.

Instruction to only install the kernel can be found here:

Comment

• Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

Yes only the kernel is necessary. The polaris-gfx used to be required, but now it's just a mesa 17.0 backport repo. I plan to retire it once F26 is out and is completely optional for f25. If you want to remain as vanilla as possible, just switching out the kernel should be sufficient.

Instruction to only install the kernel can be found here:
          https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/co...staging-kernel
          Thanks, dude. Thanks for the response and thanks for creating the COPR. Right now I have an ugly rig of a set of computer speakers sitting next to my sound system speakers as a temporary workaround. I was considering switching to NVIDIA (as I have on my personal computer), but since the HTPC is in use the the entire family, I didn't want to deal with all the BS I deal with every time I update the kernel or graphics drivers for nvidia. After a long while of being stable, I've recently had a lot of issues where updating caused me to lose my GUI. Don't want to do that on the HTPC the wife and kids are using. So thanks for this solution. Hopefully it can be merged into main soon, but that still probably won't help as I think F26 is pegged at 4.11 and so it'd be F27 or F28 before it was in the mainline Fedora kernel.

Comment

• Audio works! Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

What card are you using? The AMD hybrid laptop? Also which kernel works for you? 4.9.21-20170410.amd? There's been a bunch of fixes over the last 2 weeks, so it's hard to say if your card will be fixed.
              Yes, the AMD hybrid laptop running on the working 4.9.21-20170410.amd. I tried previous kernel hitting similar problem until recently. Before filing the bug report, I just updated to 4.9.25-20170502.amd which seems resolving the power management issue and an abnormal slow start-up on some applications i.e. Gimp and Scribus.

Edit: It looks like update to Mesa 17.0.5 resolve the issue.
              Last edited by finalzone; 06 May 2017, 10:01 PM.

Comment

• FYI the latest 3 builds, DP audio on my second monitor is non functional unless I switch over to HDMI

I also have an issue with my second monitor freezing all its windows (but the mouse cursor is still movable on the screen), however I'm not sure if this is related to the DC kernel or the Mesa 17.2 dev build I am running

Comment

• Originally posted by Grim85 View Post
                  FYI the latest 3 builds, DP audio on my second monitor is non functional unless I switch over to HDMI

I also have an issue with my second monitor freezing all its windows (but the mouse cursor is still movable on the screen), however I'm not sure if this is related to the DC kernel or the Mesa 17.2 dev build I am running
                  Audio is likely due to the kernel. I've been a bit behind in the builds due to work, but I'm going to be switching over to 4.11 soon, now that it's been marked as stable, and also in preparation for Fedora 26.
                  Last edited by Mystro256; 17 May 2017, 12:09 PM.

Comment

• Yeah the freezing was some options I had setup for Tear Free in my xorg.

Awesome news about the 4.11 and Fedora 26. Thanks again for your continued work.

Where do we donate beer money?

Comment

• I use this for DP sound on my RX480. It works great. Awaiting 4.11 news.

+1 for a way to donate

Comment

Working...
                      X