No announcement yet.

amd-staging-4.6 for Fedora 24 (AMDGPU)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any chance of adding a compile for F25 to the copr?

Comment

• Originally posted by Grim85 View Post
      Any chance of adding a compile for F25 to the copr?
      Indeed, I'll be adding it once my current test build is done (it's taking forever).

Note that I won't be updating to kernel 4.8 quite yet, so you'll have to install it manually rather than just updating. I plan to bump it to 4.8 no later than the Fedora 25 final freeze, which is November 1st.

Comment

• Finally got amdgpu to work with my R9-270! (git build from drm-next-4.9-wip)

...and TF2 hard-locked my machine after playing for 20 minutes - which is the entire reason I've been waiting to try amdgpu instead of the stock opensource radeon driver for the last 3-4 months.

Time for a new card. Hopefully one that can reliably play a 12 year old game. (consider me very skeptical on which brand I want to buy again)

Comment

• Originally posted by Shalrath View Post
          Finally got amdgpu to work with my R9-270! (git build from drm-next-4.9-wip)

...and TF2 hard-locked my machine after playing for 20 minutes - which is the entire reason I've been waiting to try amdgpu instead of the stock opensource radeon driver for the last 3-4 months.

Time for a new card. Hopefully one that can reliably play a 12 year old game. (consider me very skeptical on which brand I want to buy again)

IIRC this is a bug in mesa, not amdgpu/radeon. If you want this fixed, you'll have to either use another driver stack (i.e. one of the official AMD drivers: AMDGPU-Pro or Catalyst) or file a bug with mesa (perhaps even bisect if you're willing to go that far).

Note that amdgpu can be used with both AMDGPU-Pro (Beta, Ubuntu only for now) and Mesa, while Catalyst works with another driver altogether.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shalrath View Post
            Finally got amdgpu to work with my R9-270! (git build from drm-next-4.9-wip)

I'm assuming it's this:

If you want to use FOSS drivers, you won't find any luck on other cards, as this seems to be consistent across mesa:

If you don't care about FOSS/Nonfree drivers, your best bet is to try to use catalyst, or move to Ubuntu and use AMDGPU-Pro.

Comment

• Is RADV in the mesa 13 rc1 that built yesterday? or do I have to still add the vulkan copr?

Comment

• I plan to enable radv in rc2 or 3. The vulkan-git copr right now is pointed to rc1 if you're eager to play with it.

Comment

• AMDGPU is working way better than RadeonSI for my Pitcairn (R9 270X) on since last week on 4.9-wip and now on 4.10-wip. I'm using it with Mesa-Git and LLVM-SVN.

BTW, what's the difference between drm-next/X.XX-wip and "amd-staging"?

Comment

• Originally posted by Amarildo View Post
                    AMDGPU is working way better than RadeonSI for my Pitcairn (R9 270X) on since last week on 4.9-wip and now on 4.10-wip. I'm using it with Mesa-Git and LLVM-SVN.

BTW, what's the difference between drm-next/X.XX-wip and "amd-staging"?
                    Indeed, as debianxfce said, if you want to use DAL, use staging, but if Linux 4.9 is more appealing, I would use that instead.

As for radeonsi, this term refers to the mesa stack, while "amdgpu" and the old "radeon" refers to the kernel level drivers. If you're using mesa, then you're using radeonsi... but regardless, if the amdgpu+radeonsi combo works good for you, that's great to hear

Comment

• I've noticed that the latest builds of amd-staging now support amdgpu on my crappy R9-270. Kudos to Mystro256.

So here's a question. Am I actually using some brand new graphics driver, or does amdgpu recycle the older radeonsi code for GCN1.0 devices? I noticed that I was still locking up while playing TF2 on the 4.9-wip kernel.

Comment

Working...
                      X