No announcement yet.

amd-staging-4.6 for Fedora 24 (AMDGPU)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The new forum server is definitely working right... I just got auto-moderated
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Not sure where you found anything saying "highly experimental"... it just stays marked "experimental" until we change defaults to enable CIK support in amdgpu and disable CIK support in radeon for upstream builds.

Now SI support, that is highly experimental
      Haha thank you for the clarification.
      (I got that from Michael by the way, he might have confused SI with CI)​​​

Comment

FYI to anyone who's using this:

In version 4.6.6-902, I backported some fixes from drm-fixes-4.8.

They're pretty straightforward fixes, but please let me know if you see any regressions.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
          FYI to anyone who's using this:

In version 4.6.6-902, I backported some fixes from drm-fixes-4.8.

They're pretty straightforward fixes, but please let me know if you see any regressions.
          I just tried this last night on an Alienware 15 R2 with Radeon M395X. Got a traceback, something about the DAL. I have your full Polaris GFX repos enabled. What's weird is that when I use the regular Fedora 24 kernel, I can still use the AMDGPU driver and get accelerated video. I thought the newer kernel was needed as well?

I saw in copr that you were building a new kernel. I will test that once it is available.

Comment

Actually I also needed to disable to your updated AMDGPU driver. It cause massive screen artifacts. I am back to using the most recent Fedora 24 kernel and the updated everything from the Griever Mesa repo.

Does your repo conflict with the packages from Griever? Should I use one or the other?

Comment

Originally posted by kgonzales View Post
              Actually I also needed to disable to your updated AMDGPU driver. It cause massive screen artifacts. I am back to using the most recent Fedora 24 kernel and the updated everything from the Griever Mesa repo.

Does your repo conflict with the packages from Griever? Should I use one or the other?
              I wouldn't advise mixing mesa repos. If you're looking to keep mesa up to date, I update the mesa and llvm packages for polaris-gfx repo every time there's a major fix or addition for radeon or radeonsi. I'm obviously more conservative in updating than Griever, as I'm aiming for stability and his mesa-git repo is more aimed for being bleeding edge.

If you really want to use bleeding edge mesa though but still use AMDGPU, I would recommend recompiling xorg-x11-drv-amdgpu against Griever's libdrm-devel and mesa-devel packages. I'm assuming this is caused by some sort of mismatch between the libdrm or mesa i compiled against and the ones provided by Griever.

The staging kernel and the linux-firmware package from my repos should work fine against any mesa package. Let me know if updating the firmware specifically causes you issue though, as that needs to be reported to the AMD firmware people.

Note that I've only ever tested my repo on 4th gen GCN cards, so I can't say how well 3rd gens work with it, like the Tonga card you have there.

Comment

I wouldn't advise mixing mesa repos. If you're looking to keep mesa up to date, I update the mesa and llvm packages for polaris-gfx repo every time there's a major fix or addition for radeon or radeonsi. I'm obviously more conservative in updating than Griever, as I'm aiming for stability and his mesa-git repo is more aimed for being bleeding edge.

If you really want to use bleeding edge mesa though but still use AMDGPU, I would recommend recompiling xorg-x11-drv-amdgpu against Griever's libdrm-devel and mesa-devel packages. I'm assuming this is caused by some sort of mismatch between the libdrm or mesa i compiled against and the ones provided by Griever.

The staging kernel and the linux-firmware package from my repos should work fine against any mesa package. Let me know if updating the firmware specifically causes you issue though, as that needs to be reported to the AMD firmware people.

Note that I've only ever tested my repo on 4th gen GCN cards, so I can't say how well 3rd gens work with it, like the Tonga card you have there.
                Understood. I'll disable the Griever rep, reset my system today to Fedora 24 plus updates, then enable your repos, update and retest. I'll provide an update in a few hours.

Comment

Understood. I'll disable the Griever rep, reset my system today to Fedora 24 plus updates, then enable your repos, update and retest. I'll provide an update in a few hours.
                  Sounds good; I just updated mesa and the kernel again, so let me know how they work out.
                  You should be able to just install the xorg driver, then update, but you may also need install the 32bit package too if you use any 32bit programs/games on 64bit.

Comment

So I just retested this morning, removing all the griever packages and going back to just Fedora 24 packages. Once that was done, I installed your AMDGPU package and your AMD staging kernel, and rebooted. I have two issues with your repos:

1) With your kernel (4.6.6 one, the 4.6.7 was not showing in the repos) and your linux-firmware package, I get a traceback and cannot continue.
                    2) With the latest Fedora kernel and your Mesa and AMDGPU packages, I cannot log into GNOME.

So I cleared out your packages again, reinstalled the griever package. Everything is working again with a small performance boost.

I rebuilt your most recent AMDGPU package against the griever devel bits. It worked without issue, but I did not see a difference in performance (maybe a 1-2 frame regression) or any graphical changes. Maybe that's a good thing?

I feel like I am still missing something tho. The kernel with the new AMDGPU model and DAL commits should "just work" unless its NOT written with laptops in mind. bridgman do you have any input here?

I may try to manually install your most recent kernel, and try again.

Comment

I feel like I am still missing something tho. The kernel with the new AMDGPU model and DAL commits should "just work" unless its NOT written with laptops in mind. bridgman do you have any input here?
                      I expect most of the testing has been using desktop parts so far, although the code should be the same between desktop/laptop other than laptops having a greater number of scenarios where bugs can be lurking.

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding exactly what you are running. When you talk about mystro256's AMDGPU package is that the "4.6 staging plus some other backported fixes" kernel or are you talking about something related to the AMDGPU PRO (hybrid) stack ? Or maybe the amdgpu X driver ? (I thought most distros were using modesetting X driver rather than amdgpu at the moment but not 100% sure).

Normally I only see AMDGPU (all caps) used in the pro/hybrid context, plus you mentioned not seeing performance differences and I wouldn't expect a performance difference just from updating kernel driver. AFAIK the 4.6-staging tree is just a periodically-refreshed copy of our internal staging tree.

I do seem to remember people reporting issues with Gnome using the hybrid stack (maybe an EGL issue with closed-source GL ?) but not with the open stack. Unfortunately I'm not sure which one you are running...
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X