No announcement yet.

amd-staging-4.6 for Fedora 24 (AMDGPU)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amd-staging-4.6 for Fedora 24 (AMDGPU)

If anyone is interested, I compiled the amd-staging-4.9 kernel for Fedora 25 and added all the latest security patches included in Fedora's official kernel.

Obviously use this at your own risk, but I use it on my main machine with my RX 480 and haven't had any issues with it yet.

This includes the DAL/freesync code, along with the latest amdgpu, and will enable audio over HDMI for more recent cards (i.e. Polaris/RX 400's, R9 300's, etc.), and full Vega support. Note that this is not the AMDGPU-PRO stack and this only contains the full staging kernel module.

https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/co...staging-kernel

I also suggest installing the xorg driver if you plan to use amdgpu, as it's recommended by the developers:

Code:
    sudo dnf install xorg-x11-drv-amdgpu
    Last edited by Mystro256; 01 May 2017, 02:08 PM.

Hello, thank you for the package.
    Question: How do you build a clean kernel package from a "vanilla" kernel.
    You use a kernel.spec ? rpm-build ?

Comment

Originally posted by XoD DarK View Post
      Hello, thank you for the package.
      Question: How do you build a clean kernel package from a "vanilla" kernel.
      You use a kernel.spec ? rpm-build ?
      The kernel.spec is a specification file for building a package. The kernel.spec file for fedora is specifically set up so you can add and remove patches as you please by commenting out or adding the lines that look like this: "Patch#: NAME.patch" (# being a number, NAME being the name of the patch file).

You can use "rpmbuild -bs kernel.spec" to create an SRPM, then use a build system like copr, or you can use "mock" if you want to do it on your own machine (see "Using Mock outside your git sandbox" in the mock wiki page).

Comment

Just make sure you stick all the patch files and sources for the package in "~/rpmbuild/SOURCES". The SRPM is just a file that contains the SPEC file and all the sources/patches for that package. I can post the SRPM that I generated for this package if you find it helpful.

You can find more information here:

Comment

Thanks for making this. I will try it out today.
          Quick question.. Does it have CIK (GCN 1.1) support enabled by default? I can check the configuration myself and rebuild it if required, but I thought I would ask anyway.

Comment

Replying to my own post...
            Nope, CIK was not enabled. I enabled it in my config and it is building now. I will test it out on my 260X (Bonaire GCN 1.1).
            It might be a good idea to flick it on in your builds too.

Comment

I wish I could edit posts to add more information, rather than creating a new post again.

So it's compiled, and working. For some reason it failed to display anything on the first boot, just got to a black screen when trying to load my LightDM login. I rebooted my computer again to try some debugging and my BIOS reported that the settings were corrupt and reloaded defaults. That was weird.
              Anyway, rebooted again to try to debug the black screen problem, but this time it just fine into my desktop with no problems.
              I ran glxgears, glxinfo, and Unigine heaven to verify functionality, its all working fine. Im using open source drivers from the mesa-git copr here: https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/co...ever/mesa-git/ but Im running pretty old ones, so I will update to latest asap.

Im not seeing much difference in performance on my 260X on this kernel compared to stock 4.6. Maybe 1-2 FPS higher on Unigine Heaven, but it might be my imagination. Its certainly no where near the performance of the AMDGPU-PRO stack on Ubuntu 16.06.

Another weird quirk.. my 2nd monitor is no longer working. My Display settings see the monitor, and show it as being configured as my 2nd display, but its not displaying anything.

Comment

Originally posted by flubba86 View Post
                I wish I could edit posts to add more information, rather than creating a new post again.

So it's compiled, and working. For some reason it failed to display anything on the first boot, just got to a black screen when trying to load my LightDM login. I rebooted my computer again to try some debugging and my BIOS reported that the settings were corrupt and reloaded defaults. That was weird.
                Anyway, rebooted again to try to debug the black screen problem, but this time it just fine into my desktop with no problems.
                I ran glxgears, glxinfo, and Unigine heaven to verify functionality, its all working fine. Im using open source drivers from the mesa-git copr here: https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/co...ever/mesa-git/ but Im running pretty old ones, so I will update to latest asap.

Im not seeing much difference in performance on my 260X on this kernel compared to stock 4.6. Maybe 1-2 FPS higher on Unigine Heaven, but it might be my imagination. Its certainly no where near the performance of the AMDGPU-PRO stack on Ubuntu 16.06.

Another weird quirk.. my 2nd monitor is no longer working. My Display settings see the monitor, and show it as being configured as my 2nd display, but its not displaying anything.
                Hmm odd, unfortunately i don't have one of those cards, so I can't help much there.
                I'm not sure if all the CIK code is in the staging branch, but I could be wrong.

Regardless, I'm rebuilding with CIK enabled; it may take a little while. Please let me know if it works if you can.

Here's the link for the build:

I would suggest to also installing xorg-x11-drv-amdgpu if you don't have it. You can grab builds from my other repo, plus I put updates to mesa when radeonsi gets fixes/updates, rather than constantly taking snapshots, along with llvm/clang to take advantage the latest ogl functionality and some firmware updates:

Comment

Originally posted by flubba86 View Post
                  Replying to my own post...
                  Nope, CIK was not enabled. I enabled it in my config and it is building now. I will test it out on my 260X (Bonaire GCN 1.1).
                  It might be a good idea to flick it on in your builds too.
                  I looked into it, it seems CIK is still considered "highly experimental" and amdgpu really should only be used for GCN 1.2+, although I'll still keep it enabled for people who want to play with it, since it really does no harm having it enabled.

Comment

Not sure where you found anything saying "highly experimental"... it just stays marked "experimental" until we change defaults to enable CIK support in amdgpu and disable CIK support in radeon for upstream builds.

Now SI support, that is highly experimental
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X